Alice Springs Trip

I am planning a trip to Alice Springs mid to late August in my Nynja. The plan at present is; Watts bridge- Roma- Charleville-Windorah- Bedourie-Bond Springs. Refuelling stops at Charleville and Windorah. I can carry some fuel and add it at Bedourie to get me to Alice as it seems fuel is not available at Bedourie. I am open to other suggestions . I would probably overnight at Windorah, any suggestions, I haven't been to Windorah or Bedourie before. Greg.

Guest SrPilot
I am planning a trip to Alice Springs mid to late August in my Nynja.. . . Greg.

Have a great flight Greg. I once flew into Alice but it was on a commercial flight. Not exactly the same thing of course. I was not familiar with the Nynja so I quickly researched the airplane along with the Skyranger. I am not sure these aircraft are operating in the U.S. (at least under those names). If they are, I simply have not stumbled up on one. I take it that they're French kitplanes. ??

Thanks. j

Depends on what you want to do/see. I would substitute Birdsville for Bedourie (not a lot there). Birdsville has bowser fuel and food (actually dearer then Coober Pedy when I last went through - tourist price) and be prepared for a ASIC card inspection at Birdsville if you choose that way - I must have missed it, but terrorist activity must be high?

• Haha 1

Haven't been to Bedourie either. If you stop at Birdsville you can get Mogas at the nearby servo far cheaper than AvGas (assuming Rotax in the Nynja). From there if you choose that way, we flew along the French Line to Mt Dare, across to Finke and up the old rail line to Alice. Either way, have a ball! I'm quite envious already. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been to Bedourie before and that's not a bad reason for going there this time. Just looking at Google earth Bedourie looks bigger than Birdsville but I guess not as well known. I am sure I could get Mogas there if I need it. I have been to Birdsville a number of times over the last 30 years and may come back that way. I have always wanted to have a look at the French line. I 'll take Frank's advice though and check the terrorist alerts before going into Birdsville, you can never be too careful especially just before the big races. The purpose for the trip is to test fly a new Nynja which is nearing completion at Alice. Just one of the things I like to do for my clients. Snr Pilot, Yes the Skyranger and Nynja are brilliant French designed kit aircraft and there are quite a few Skyrangers in the US. They had a very active agent about 10 years ago but he sold out and started a religion (true story) there was more money to be made there. Greg.

Guest SrPilot
there are quite a few Skyrangers in the US. They had a very active agent about 10 years ago but he sold out and started a religion (true story) there was more money to be made there. Greg.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. (or so said John Wayne). Next time I am at a big flyin, I will try to find a Skyranger. I just haven't seen one insofar as I can remember. I always like to study new (to me) aircraft. Have a good flight to Alice. Do a very good preflight on the new airplane. I know you know to do that, but I've seen the unforeseen bite people in the (whatever you guys call it in Australia) when flying a new airplane so I butt in and say "be careful now, you hear?" (southern U.S. English). I've been to Alice; in fact, I bought my first Akubra in Alice in 1991. Still wear it. It's a Snowy River, I believe. I've added others over the years. The Lightning Ridge is a nice hat too.