Passing of an Era, Jim Bede dies

Prolific designer and controversial builder James Bede has died at age 82.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/July/10/James-Bede-noted-aircraft-designer

I actually spoke to Jim at Oshkosh in '13, and got him to sign a T-shirt while there.

Bedeshirt.jpg.58bd30e4319c29a00a4e735bd5a232e5.jpg

R.I.P. Jim.

So a man walks into a bar, and sits down. He starts a conversation with an old guy next to him. The old guy has obviously had a few. He says to the man:

"You see that tall building over there? Built it myself, and it's the best building in town! But do they call me "McGregor the supreme builder"? No! And you see that bridge over there? I built that, only took me six months, through rain, sleet and scoaching weather, but do they call me "McGregor the bridge builder"? No! And you see that pier out in the Bay, I built that, best pier in the county! But do they call me "McGregor the pier builder"? No!"

"but get caught having sex with a sheep..."

Jim Bede did a lot for the kit and light aircraft scene, a lot more than most people realise, unfortunately he will be remember for some of his controversies instead.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was sorry to hear that. Jim was very helpful when we re-furbished our aircraft. The BD-4 is a simply brilliant design. Ours does 140+KTAS at 7500 feet at 75% on a 150 hp O-320. It flys high, far and fast carrying 2 people, 54Kg of baggage and fuel for 7+ hours. He well deserves to be remembered for that design.

• Like 1