VH- ERU Accident in WA Outback

Good outcome

Gotta watch those dingos

Fly Safe

RW

From ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-06/flight-crash-survivor-stalked-by-dingoes-on-trek-to-safety/6676130?section=wa

A man who survived an aircraft crash in Western Australia's remote Mid West says he was stalked by dingoes as he walked more than 20 kilometres to find help.

Peter Lacy was returning from a gold mine on Saturday to Cue, about 660km north-east of Perth, when his small plane's engine started spewing smoke into the cabin.

The 48-year-old was forced to land the single-engine Cessna 210 in difficult terrain.

"There was no clear brakes at all," he said.

"That's why I had to only sort of look after myself and attempt to sort of save the aircraft as much as I could."

But he said the right wing clipped a tree on the way down.

I had to walk because nobody knew where I was, so I walked for 25 kilometres into where I knew some hills were. Then I was able to ring for help from there.

Peter Lacy

"I skidded for probably 10 metres before coming to rest against a tree, where aviation fuel started pouring on top of me so I had to vacate very quickly," he said.

"I was concerned I would have caught fire."

The experienced pilot was able to drag himself free of the wreckage, surprised to have only received a hit to the head and "a couple of little scratches".

After spending hours trying to activate a broken EPIRB, Mr Lacy decided to set off on foot for help.

"I had to walk because nobody knew where I was, so I walked for 25 kilometres into where I knew some hills were," he said.

"Then I was able to ring for help from there."

Mr Lacy, who lives in Bunbury but works across the Mid West repairing roads, said while walking he was harassed by dingoes.

"There was about three or four of them sort of circling me while I was walking along ... which I was sort of concerned about," he said.

"They weren't too far away.

"I couldn't see them because the moon was up but the cloud sort of covered the moon, so you couldn't really see where you were going too well."

Poor weather conditions hampered the search effort for the 48-year-old, who waited about 24 hours before he was rescued.

"I was quite relieved when the police turned up on the motorbike and picked me up," he said.

Despite the ordeal, Mr Lacy said he was not scared off flying.

"I'd get back in one again tomorrow," he said.

"Everything from my training and my experience in the bush, I think I made the right decision, I think, to make sure I got back to tell the tale."

• Informative 1

Good news that he survived to tell the tale because it's rugged country and bloody dry.

The dogs there are desert bred and big. They teach the pups to hunt on the sheep and then go off and kill a roo.

When I was in the Gascoyne just about everyone had gone out of sheep for cattle because the dogs were so bad. Then the dogs started to run in packs and attack the cows and calves instead.

A dog that can pull down an 85 kilo red kangaroo can most certainly pull down a man of the same weight and I knew of a couple of incidents where dogs working together had a squatter on his own very worried indeed. I came back east only to be told by the armchair experts that a dingo wouldn't take a baby!

They must have been dreaming.

070_sleep.gif.1c8d367a0c12958f2106584470af404d.gif

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I watched some dingos stalk and try and take some young goats. Hunting very smart and working together.

Eventually the billies got wind of them and ran the dingos off...

I've got no doubt they would take a child or man if they thought they could get away with it....

• Agree 1

In my teens I shot dingoes for pocket money and gained great respect for their intelligence. Like wolves they have a place in ecosystems but we should ignore the glamourising by movie makers- they are cruel killers.

Peter Lacy was returning from a gold mine on Saturday to Cue, about 660km north-east of Perth, when his small plane's engine started spewing smoke into the cabin.

It will be interesting to know just what caused the cabin smoke. An engine fire may not lead to this, because of the firewall sealing via grommets, whereas an electrical fire aft of the firewall will. A C210E is a mid 60's model, and the chances of an 'electrical' would be higher on my list of possibles. Cabin smoke is a real panic inducer, and one of those events where you need to conduct a couple of immediate 'vital actions'. I'm curious as to whether the landing was achieved under power, or deadsticked? Maybe ATSB will glean some useful facts out for us before posting their report? A good outcome tho.

• Like 1