New learner!

Spooks

hi

I'm Jimmy and from the UK where I am currently partway through my NPPL/LAPL. We are hoping to move to Perth in the next couple of years so thought it an idea to get some idea of the aviation scene out your way!

I'll probably post multiple questions in the various sub-forums over the next few days, so prepare yourselves 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

Look forward to contributing to the forum!

• Like 2

I'm Jimmy and from the UK where I am currently partway through my NPPL/LAPL. We are hoping to move to Perth in the next couple of years so thought it an idea to get some idea of the aviation scene out your way!

Welcome! Unfortunately you'll find that we have no equivalent of the LAPL; you have RAAus which is more restricted, and RPL which requires a more restrictive medical. )-:

I might have to go all out for the PPL then 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

A shame as your RPL seems quite similar to the LAPL (except that you can use up to 1 500kg whereas we can use up to 2 100kg). Our LAPL is like a diluted PPL with a slightly easier medical.

With the way the 'beautiful' summer weather is in the UK, I might be getting my first flight in Oz anyway 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Had several lessons cancelled over two months without me getting in the air 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I might have to go all out for the PPL then 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gifA shame as your RPL seems quite similar to the LAPL (except that you can use up to 1 500kg whereas we can use up to 2 100kg). Our LAPL is like a diluted PPL with a slightly easier medical.

With the way the 'beautiful' summer weather is in the UK, I might be getting my first flight in Oz anyway 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif Had several lessons cancelled over two months without me getting in the air 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

If you have the time in your logbook, there would be nothing stopping you from coming to an RAAus school and getting brought up to speed, then doing the RAAus flight test.

As for summer weather, in the middle of winter in Sydney in one month I've flown just on twenty hours.

• Like 1

As for summer weather, in the middle of winter in Sydney in one month I've flown just on twenty hours.

Interesting idea on using my existing hours, I assume there is no restriction on it having to have been in Australia? Thanks for the help!

Twenty hours in winter......... I think over our summer we've had one week of decent weather (three days in a row were flyable....I was camping during this period 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif ) and besides that it has mostly rained or been overcast. So much for the three months of glorious Mediterranean summer we were promised!

hiI'm Jimmy and from the UK where I am currently partway through my NPPL/LAPL. We are hoping to move to Perth in the next couple of years so thought it an idea to get some idea of the aviation scene out your way!

I'll probably post multiple questions in the various sub-forums over the next few days, so prepare yourselves 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

Look forward to contributing to the forum!

Welcome, what aircraft have you been flying?

Twenty hours in winter......... I think over our summer we've had one week of decent weather (three days in a row were flyable....I was camping during this period 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif ) and besides that it has mostly rained or been overcast. So much for the three months of glorious Mediterranean summer we were promised!

I don't think that any days this week, for example, have been complete washouts, weather forecasts to the contrary. Even if overcast, the cloud base has been enough to at least fly circuits.

C42 Ikarus at the moment. Long term I'd like to build (looking at the options from Vans, Rans, Sonex and Zenair) but I probably won't start that until I know where we are living as I can imagine the hassle of transporting a partially completed kit!

We can't even fly circuits here as the cloud level is so low. I know there's a joke about the British whinging about the weather (and whinging in general for that matter), but I think we have a reason! I must admit that my sister sending us photos of the clear skies in Perth is making me a bit jealous.

C42 Ikarus at the moment. Long term I'd like to build (looking at the options from Vans, Rans, Sonex and Zenair) but I probably won't start that until I know where we are living as I can imagine the hassle of transporting a partially completed kit!We can't even fly circuits here as the cloud level is so low. I know there's a joke about the British whinging about the weather (and whinging in general for that matter), but I think we have a reason! I must admit that my sister sending us photos of the clear skies in Perth is making me a bit jealous.

The Ikarus looks like a perfectly nice plane to train in.

Your cloud base sounds terribly low - at Wollongong you can have problems getting over the escarpment, but most days cloud base is a few thousand at least.