Hitler and the Impounded Jodel. . . .

Phil Perry

You may or may not have heard about the Jodel Which made a precautionary landing at Plymouth airport

Due to bad weather. The Jodel has been “impounded” And Plymouth has refused to let it leave

They have now placed a concrete bollard in front of it.

Someone has made this mock video . . .

http://captiongenerator.com/55706/Hitler-and-the-Jodel

• Like 2

Phil...I hadn't heard about the Jodel but I gather its pilot has fallen foul of authorities who have perhaps decided the airport would be better used for something else. Housing maybe?

My club is a major tenant at our airport and yesterday we received an invitation to attend a first consultation with our Council Landlord and its consultants tomorrow! Clearly they aren't keen on many of us attending a meeting to discuss the relocation of the facility.

Kaz

Sorry Kaz,. . .

I heard this story from one of the previous owners of the aircraft concerned, and it was he who gave me the link. . . .he was going to explain, but as I was the only RadOp on today, things got a bit hectic.. . . .one, VERY near miss in the overhead, between a visiting Foxbat and a Eurostar,. . . .( Eye wateringly bloody CLOSE. . .! ) and two aircraft ( both non radio ) on approach from opposite ends of the same strip. . . . . ( Nil wind condx. )

Not difficult to imagine, . . .as most pilots will look at the runway, rather than the sky at the other end as they are approaching. . .. How many of you look to see if another aircraft is on the opposite final whilst you are judging where on the runway you are going to reinterface with the ground ??

Not many I would expect. . . .you'd obviously ASSUME . . .that no one would be daft enough to land in the OPPOSITE direction to the ground signals if you were non radio Right ? . . . .

I didn't see the bloke again when everything finished at 19:57 Hrs this evening . . ( Two minutes prior to the "Last Takeoff" curfew. . . ) He could've flown out in the meantime,. . .or maybe It was when I went for a toilet break. . .I dunno.

As a mere Air/ ground radio operator, there isn't a lot I can do if people don't want to use the information on runways we advertise as "In use currently ". . . . commonsense appears to be the most uncommon thing around lately. . . . .

It all came to an end when thunderstorms started rolling in. . .most spectacular for the UK anyway. . . nowhere NEAR as violent as the ones I experienced whilst living in Brisbane,. . . . .

( Anyway,. . .when I find my interface lead,. . .I'll upload a couple of pics from the fly-in. . . . On THIS thread. . . )

Ask me sometime about the Fokker ( or whatever it was ) which did an opposing landing to me whilst landing a C-210 at Merimbula in the 70s. . . . exciting. . . .not sure who was ultimately responsible for that one. . . .Nuther story . . .

Phil.

Slight update on the above Airmiss. . . .

Both Foxbat and Eurostar commanders did not see the "Other" aircraft until they passed by each other at approximately 90 degrees in the overhead,. . .- Foxbat pilot : *iit. . . we missed by about five metres. . ."

Eurostar pilot : Bloody 'ell,. . .he missed me by less than fifty feet, . . . . never saw him coming. . ."

Bear in mind I had reported to each of them that one aircraft was joining overhead from the South,. . .and one from the East. . . ( WRONG ). . . " are you visual with the other aircraft. . .? -( separate transmission to both pilots. . . .) . . . Answer from both pilots was . . ." No. . .can't see the other one . ." And Phil was looking in the wrong diection as well. . . . assuming the pilot knew where he was coming from. . .

One pilot,. . .I won't muddy the water with which one,.. . .was looking in the wrong direction,. . .ie, he had mixed up in his head the bearing from which he was approaching the overhead, with the actual geographic positioning / flight track . . .

Whereas his direction of flight was actually EAST. . . so he was actually approaching from that bearing / direction. . . . we VERY often get these calls from visitors when we ask them from what direction they are approaching . . . .does the team think that this might be just a momentary brainfart,. . .or is it more of a training issue. . . . ?

It makes me wonder whether some drivers actually LISTEN to what has been said on the radio,. . . .anyhow,. . no harm done this time, but I nearly took up fags again at 40 a day just after witnessing that. . . . I guess the watchword is once again KEEP A GOOD LOOKOUT in a busy, non-controlled environment, where at least ten percent of pilots (In MY experience, - in the UK. . .) buy a flying appliance worth at least fifty grand,. . . and can't be ar$ed putting a radio in it, and learning how it works. . . .

The fat bloke waddling around on the deck with his hand held radio and eyes like a craphouse rat can only be Slightly useful ( on a Good day that is. . .)

Sorry to over emphasise this, but it is happening with frightening regularity at OUR site. . .. . . . .I'll be glad when I've finished training up my assistant radio manager,. . .so I can hide in the bogs with my fingers in my ears singing "La La La. . . . . it ain't my problem today sport. . . "

When flying into a really Lovely field called Shobdon, some years ago,. . .I always found the air / ground radio guy to be a really abrasive individual,. . .to the point where his local club pilots called him a (Blank) in a Box ( tower) [can't use the word as it is hated by ladies and this is a family site. . .]

I could not understand WHY the bloke acted in this way back then. . . .BUT NOW I REALLY DO EMPATHISE ! ! ! !

You folks may not have uncontrolled sites such as ours so that the above will not affect you at all,. . . . When I was whizzing around Australia, there was a frequency everyone used for non-controlled airfields, and this was 119.1. . . Casey Airfield at Berwick ( Vic. ) had this, as did quite a lot more. . . otherwise I would call RFDS, or "SmokeNet" and you could usually elicit a response from some nice Doctor lady or bloke from the CFA who tended to listen thereon . . ..assuming you were equipped with HF radio. . . Though I would imagine that things have moved on a bit since I did my OZ Outback exploration flying in the seventies. . . .what with smartphones, GPS and mass communication available for everybody . . .I carried amateur radio gear whenever possible, and quite often managed some useful contacts with the odd VK Station here and there. . . . . ..

Please forgive my ranting !

>