Comment on CASAs' AvSafety Seminars

poteroo

I have recently attended a CASA presentation and found it quite underwhelming! The subject matter was relevant enough - but the presentation left a lot to be desired. With 'Flight into non-VMC' and 'Unauthorised Low Flying' accidents for discussion there was plenty of opportunity to present us with a new line of approach to improving safety in these fields. Instead - it was the same old 'thou shalt not' approach. Since when has prohibition ever worked? There was no emphasis on improving pilot training via expansion of the basic syllabus - which indicated to me that our regulator just hasn't accepted that 'education is superior to regulation'.

What's everyones' opinion of the relevance of these seminars?

• Agree 2

I have recently attended a CASA presentation and found it quite underwhelming! The subject matter was relevant enough - but the presentation left a lot to be desired. With 'Flight into non-VMC' and 'Unauthorised Low Flying' accidents for discussion there was plenty of opportunity to present us with a new line of approach to improving safety in these fields. Instead - it was the same old 'thou shalt not' approach. Since when has prohibition ever worked? There was no emphasis on improving pilot training via expansion of the basic syllabus - which indicated to me that our regulator just hasn't accepted that 'education is superior to regulation'.What's everyones' opinion of the relevance of these seminars?

I went to the same seminar a few weeks ago. The type of person who deliberately goes into IMC or indulges in low flying does not go to a safety seminar. Completely wasted on those that attended. Just going through the motions to tell their masters they are educating us.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1