Share/Syndicate ex-Camden

Ozfergie

Pretty sure the J430 is only brand new in kit form, you then need to build it. Shouldn't be an issue putting a Camit instead of Jabiru from the start (since you build the aircraft). Unless you mean the J230 which is the factory built 2 seat?

You are spot on rhysmcc. Just had a chat with Jabiru who confirmed this for me. I will need to build it myself and then can register it VH under experimental category and do my own maintenance. It takes around 600 hours of build time. Alternatively I can buy a 2nd hand one and get it maintained through a LAME.

I guess the second option would be much more viable for me who does not have the time and confidence to build it by himself. Apparently they now have roller cam on their engines. Does anyone know what is the cost of maintaining through LAME?

Hello Anjum,

For what it's worth, the estimates that I have used based on J160's with all maintenance by LAME are

$38 - $42 per flight hour for 50 and 100 hourlys

These costs would naturally be higher for the 3300 engine.

But as far as I am aware we do not need maintenance by a "LAME" for J160 as it is registered as RA and not VH. Besides $40 / flying hour would be really exorbitant for a J430. In that case it makes more sense to stick with RA rather than GA as the costs really does build up for a VH registered aircraft. Especially if one intends to fly it more regularly for having fun rather than taking it on an occasional holiday. It really boils down to what we want to do with it and how much spare cash one has lying around.