Loss of Control (Spin) Recovery video

dutchroll

Not sure which forum to put this in (Mr Admin can change it if he wants). I did this video a few days ago for the educational benefit and info of others generally, as well as to de-mystify the apparently scary reputation of this Experimental plane.

I show a "standard" spin recovery from 2 different angles, followed by a "Beggs-Mueller" ("hands-off") spin recovery from the same angles, and also in slow-mo so people can see the sequence of events. Why spin recovery in a RA forum? Well just to show how it's done, what happens, and for general interest.

At the end is just a circuit, demo'ing landing a taildragger which you can't see out the front of!

I'm hoping for my next one to be inverted spin recovery, with audio commentary as I go (audio recording was attempted but failed on this flight including the stalling vid I posted earlier in another section, which turned out to be "pilot error". It is now resolved!003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif)

Thanks DR

We had Dave Pilkington come as guest speaker at our Aeroclub meeting a couple of weeks ago. I think training in recovering from unusual attitudes is really worthwhile for every pilot even if they don't want to get into aerobatics properly.

One of our members just purchased an S1 and he and another member have been learning to fly it by training in an S2 for the last couple of months.

We had a movie night last Friday night and there was some great footage of Pip doing his thing here at Shepp, too. He is still sadly missed by many.

Cheers

Kaz

• Like 2

Yeah it certainly is worthwhile. Loss of control situations are very intimidating especially to low-experience pilots (heck even to high-experience ones!). A picture or video is worth a thousand words and shows that these situations can almost always be recovered, with the correct recognition and technique, and sufficient space between you and the ground.

Very many fatals involve missing one of these 3 essential ingredients.

This one will bring tears to some of your eyes..

upload_2015-10-25_18-54-51.jpeg.bbe78ef277738a47a5603346aeb079a3.jpeg▶ 17:18

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR76PfL2KRw

Jun 14, 2015 - Uploaded by John Dow

This is an edited version of a longer video that showed the entire flight, including waiting to go

• Like 2
  • Winner 1