What causes an airplane to stall?

You can't compare that situation(as presented) with what we call normal control inputs and responses. When you understand the logic of the aircraft's systems , and that would take many days of study you will be in a better position to analyse what is going on. Airbus try to make a plane pilot's can't crash. When sensors fail you get extra confusion. Inter Tropic Convergence Zones are wild places to be weather wise. Nev

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many things in aviation . Confusion must be avoided. It's deadly. If you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing , don't do it unless under direct instruction at a safe height with the right person and a suitable plane. You don't get a second chance if you stuff it up and need more height. Nev

Yes, Garfly. The wingovers in your video were like what crop dusters do after part of the hopper load has been sprayed or in a very powerful spray plane. The milder energy management turns in my video are more like what would be done with a full load. With a full load, a level turn would be extremely dangerous unless the spray plane went way out in a very mild bank and came back many minutes later. This just wouldn't get the job done efficiently and would still be very unsafe.

aro,

I am not saying recreational pilots need be low or need turn steeply, most of the time. We all are low when taking off and landing. The same safety issues as with spraying come into play here. In the video Garfly put up, the pilot leveled the wing before going over the hanger. He got the turn completed quickly before impacting the ground or having to cross the hanger with one wing down. That is why we must bank steeply and use a lot of rudder to push the nose around. He pulled up wings level and allowed the nose to go down naturally in the turns. He ended the bank before pulling up.

The same is true with your fear of a skidding stall/spin on the base to final turn. First good wind management would have us making this base to final turn into a headwind/crosswind component so as to be at the slowest ground speed possible (the slower we go the faster we turn) and so the crosswind would work to reduce the radius of turn. Second, it is much safer if we allow the nose to go down naturally in the turn as it was designed to do.

I don't know about your country but here I see lots of videos of young guys low leveling down rivers and flying canyons. These are recreational pilots legally flying low in our desert and mountain west. They are putting wings down near terrain and wires and are making high load factor level turns near the ground. I have seen film of a lot of similar country in Australia and New Zealand. These guys need to know safe maneuvering flight techniques. They are not taught these techniques at the airport. There are few of us old guys who have flown this way all our lives and Ag training is expensive.

Many in aviation say these young guys are making their own bed and need sleep in it. In this case that means possible/likely death. I don't. I tell them as much as I can on this computer and I fly with any of them for free.

Contact