Flying to King Island

rgmwa

I'm considering flying via Cape Otway to King Island next March. There is some good trip information in previous posts regarding crossing at the eastern end of the Strait, and also the recommendations in ERSA, but has anyone got any first hand experience of flying to King Island?

rgmwa

You need to carry life jackets, set up skeds with Centre. If possible, fly high. You are only out of sight of land for a few minutes. I have done it low because of cloud, also ok. You need prearranged for a car, if you need one, as the airport is a long way from anywhere. I can't remember about fuel, I think I had to arrange a call-out.

Thanks PM. I'll be complying with the rules regarding life jackets and skeds, etc, and transport and fuel should not be problem as I have relatives there. The biggest factor will be the weather, but I believe Mar/April are about the best months to make the trip, so hopefully I'll have a good run.

rgmwa

• 1 month later...

Life jackets a must, and wear them. If you need to ditch put it in parallel to the waves. I tied the epirb to my partners jacket and also had a lanyard tied to mine. Figured that if we ditched and made it out we could tie one another together with 4m of rope.

Skeds every ten minutes from overhead Otway. Respond with operations normal at ten min interval. Check AIP.

Passengers role, keep eye on time and look out for vessels. If your going to ditch do it close to a ship.

• Like 3