Long range tanks

JerzyGeorge

I need some advice how to fit long range tanks into my Savannah VG.

Some say that I have to take the wings off to do it , others that it is possible to do it with the wings on the plane. Also that fuel taps before lines get to the header tank are a must . What about additional weight (stress) further away from from the fuselage . Or is it too much trouble? Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

I need some advice how to fit long range tanks into my Savannah VG.Some say that I have to take the wings off to do it , others that it is possible to do it with the wings on the plane. Also that fuel taps before lines get to the header tank are a must . What about additional weight (stress) further away from from the fuselage . Or is it too much trouble? Thanks in advance

Hi Jerzy

I have fitted the extra tanks to quite a few Savs in the past, never took the wings off.

It certainly pays to have experience with aluminium aircraft work as you have to cut holes in the bottom skins, cut a circular hole in the top skin, derivet the inboard tank cover to run and connect hoses, etc. usually takes a day to complete, so no not a real hard job.

I know a lot of people fit taps to the fuel lines, but they are not a must. I have done many without taps - keep it simple theory, you choose.

If you wanted to do it you can order a kit with tanks, brackets and support beams from Reg at Aerokits.

Cheers

Rick