Sonex trips

Peter Anson

Some people think that Sonexes are only good for local flights, and I must admit they are pretty cosy for two, but here's a link to my trip blog for those with too much time on their hands. (You should be out flying but this is cheaper).

http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/sonex-trips/

Peter

Sonex 19-7898

240 hours

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I recently took my mother for a sight-seeing flight in the Sonex.

Mum is 91. She was unfazed by a pretty rough ride in the warm conditions, but I'm sure she appreciated the smoother conditions over water. That track is 320 km which is quite a long sight-seeing trip.

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

Hi Brett, You do have to plan fuel carefully. I have a fuel site tube, a fuel gauge and a flow gauge. My engine burns 21 to 22 litres per hour at cruise which works out at 125 minutes plus 45 minutes reserve. The longest leg I have done is over 290 nautical miles, but I was carrying extra fuel in a jerry can just in case. An extra tank would be nice, and probably essential in central Australia, but I have been reluctant to add any weight. I did a recent trip from Mount Gambier to Kyneton at reduced power due to rough conditions, using about 2450 rpm, and noticed that I used about 6 litres less fuel, so there is some potential for more economical cruising.

How is the turbo running?

Turbo seems to run fine. I have set everything up regarding cowling opening and outlet sizes and that sort of thing exactly as per the plans so I hope it will go ok.

It certainly runs a heck of a lot quieter with the turbo from as much as I can tell on the ground. I think throttled back to around 2600rpm it will probably give a nice cruise and fuel flow but most of all a reasonable noise level also. Fingers crossed anyway. Over 3000 rpm in my standard aerovee almost mandates you need a good set of ANR,s to enjoy the flight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was my first time to the AAAA Fly-in (Antique Aircraft Association of Australia) at Echuca. Here's a link to my blog:

http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/sonex-trips/aaaa-antique-aeroplane-association-of-australia-fly-in-echuca-1617-april-2016/

This would have to be one of the best fly-ins I have attended. There were some beautifully restored rare aircraft.

• Like 3

What's the plural of Sonex? Anyway, I saw them at Echuca, neat.

Nice photos on your blog. Regarding your comment about the alternate airspeed indicator on the Gypsy - I believe that was the original standard primary gauge although I didn't peek in the cockpit to see if one if those new-fangled instruments was fitted too.

There is a new-fangled steam gauge on the panel, calibrated in mph, that looks like original equipment, but maybe that was an optional extra. I'm still confused about the plural of Sonex. I think I'll set a new standard now and make it Sonexes. Thank goodness there was only one Xenos there.

• Like 2