David D

David D

New guy here. I am a private pilot, not current now but planning to get back into it soon, like in a few weeks. I have been considering an ultralight. I keep coming back to the Kolb firefly. I want something I can keep at home and is quick to get in the air. I have been reading a lot about the 2 cycle engines. Seems like the more you read the more you see the distance of the 2 vs 4 stroke people. While I agree the 4s are most reliable the fact still remains that the choices are very limited if I want to stay light and fly, and maintain cheaply. I have emailed several Kolb owners selling them that say they have flown several years on their 2 stroke engines. I would be interested to hear from some of your experiences of your 2 strokes, that were operated properly and lasted a good while.

Thanks David

Hello David

Two strokes are great mate don't be leave all the bs about two stroke not being reliable I have been flying around behind them for 20 odd years now with out any problems .

The little buggers are a lot off fun , great power too weight

If looked after they run for years I know of a few with over a 700 hrs still going strong

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with silvertop 582 rotax two strokes has been absolutely positive and I believe that is directly related to engine maitenance and timeon monitoring. It is reasonable to expect that a very high preformance low weight to power engine will have less longevity than an engine with less preformance and more weight to power resulting in less operational stress such as a four stroke. And that I believe is the reason for the two verses four stroke controversy. The answer for two stroke flyers is engine condition monitoring and efficent routine maintenance and not expecting similar tbo,s to fourstrokes.

• Agree 1