Adelaide

rhtrudder

If memory serves me right, you need a transponder, fly coastal (Shark Patrol go 500 ft off shore at 500 ft altitude) Get permission to carry on when you reach Port Noarlunga and be prepared to do a left hand orbit if a jet is taking off or has just landed (vortex avoidance)

No transponder............not sure but should be doable with prior permission.

1883421081_20AdelaideIntnlbeforeupdate.jpg.67a0c856f7eda9741235fb750de14bf2.jpg This is Adelaide years ago. It's a lot busier today.

Track is under adelaides steps ,below 8500 , but it looks like it takes you through restricted military zone flt 250 to sfc , could we contact the military to get permission or Adelaide twr

Adelaide tower as far as I know. S.P. finished at North Haven so we didn't encroach on military air space. I once had a TIF out of Parafield and as far as I can remember, they only contacted their own tower. Actual traffic in or out of RAAF Edinbugh is very low. Staying coastal avoids their airspace and you can turn right up near Mallala

Just thought, if you don't have life vests you can't go anywhere ;-)

00map.jpg.4511c5dcee13f21da47d71b127cc5a08.jpg

RA2 so need to contact military for permission since nothing in ERSA for published route, I'd be ringing Edinburgh tower prior to departure?

Thanks for that, it's sort of what I figured to be on the safe side, our track is a long way from the military base so I guessed it was possible to transit , and we have all the life vests so we should be OK

I don't think I've ever seen it active but I have been in a P3C going low level coastal to the southeast of KI to do sonobuoy runs on Whale Rock, then back around through the north side of KI sightseeing.. err surveillance so they do use it.. wouldn't know if they activated then long time ago

Alternatively you could track almost due north to Yorktown and then Ardrossan and thus stay clear of CTA/R and Restricted areas - but you would be passing through some Danger area(s).

Check NOTAMs for R airspace activation.

It would also mean crossing about 30nm of water as against 10nm of Backstairs Passage.

The direct track not only includes R279, but a cluster of restricted airspace around Woomera (R222D, R222F, R222E, R246C, R246B) not to mention D271 below 5ooo ft.

Isn't it a shame Australia has such vast tracts of airspace "stitched up" for military use.