Required seperation between aircraft?

Once it was clearly and unambiguously 600 metres. That was before CASA decided to fix something that was not broken. Now we have CAR 163 which really give no distance guidance at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And yet, for aircraft flying in company (in radio contact) but not 'in formation', 600m seems too great a distance to keep, no? An unambiguous legal distance probably should take into account the difference between aircraft aware of each other (mutually consenting) and those that are not. I'm not sure what problem CASA was trying to fix but it does seem that the current set up allows some sensible flexibility in that regard.

• Agree 1

I've done a bit of flying in company, and to be frank I'm not particularly impressed with the idea. People have different ideas about heights. Planes fly at different speeds and having a number of planes in your vicinity that you may have less than precise knowledge of their whereabouts at all times is extra unnecessary stress. Some talk too much and when you are doing this perhaps you would be better off to be monitoring another more useful frequency, like the one you are meant to be on, that you don't use for non operational conversation. You arrive somewhere and create your own instant crowded circuit as well. You have enough to do to fly your own plane properly. If you are in a very isolated part of the outback it's another matter. Being able to contact SOMEONE is a help as they can relay information . VHF is only line of sight..Nev

• Informative 1