EMS - GRT Avionics - EIS 4000/6000

Hi all,

Looking at getting an Engine Monitoring System for a Rotax 912UL, I have my eyes on the GRT EIS 4000

The reason for this "pre selection" is that I have an iLevil AW2 and it is compatible with the GRT IES, allowing us to have all the data (Air Data & Engine Data) coming out of the Wifi server created by the iLevil and then accessible through different Apps on iOS and Android devices.

Another reason is that I don't really want to be stuck with an EMS with its own factory monitor like the Xtreme EFIS, I will start with 2 iPad mini but maybe next year I will get a big iPad Pro.

I like the concept of a black box sending wireless data to multiple devices.

Any of you mob have any experience with the GRT EIS monitoring system ?

(I sent them a couple of e-mail to get a quote this weeks but no reply yet)

Cheers,

Xavier from Darwin

No one has them that I know of....too expensive I think

I have the Xtreme and it is just superb..infact I have 2 extremes in the dash one set on EMS data the other on AHRS...both will do either job so I have some backup as well but you can of course just use the 1.

dont know if this link will work but I did some facebook live from the cockpit while flying last weekend...shows it in flight

I though we never talk about price when we buy stuff for the cockpit 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif001_smile.gif.6386dc7a3bee1687774534e35ad7aba8.gif

When you look at it the Extreme EFIS + RDAC + full AHRS without the sensors is about $3,800AU

The iLevil 2 AW ($1,900AU) plus the GRT EIS 4000 ($2,000AU) is $3,900 (without the iPad of course)

But I should have explained a bit more the reason why I pick the iLevil.

Apart from having Flight Data and Engine Data on board on the iPads, with the iLevil, you are able to access this data for any other applications, the protocol they use is open.

3 projects in the pipeline :

1 --> Using any computer in range of the iLevil Wifi to get Air & Engine Data

On ground and inflight precise data monitoring and recording (engine tuning, ...)

Program written in Java

2 --> Sending the data collected by the Air Data and the Engine Data to a Garmin VIRB XE to record videos with overlays of Engine data on top of the video (RPM, Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, ...), same like this :

An Arduino with Wifi shield is connected to the iLevil wifi server --> data extraction --> OBD2 emulation

3 --> Making the Aircraft a Thing of the Internet

The same Arduino with an additional wifi shield is connected to the internet and the telemetry collected is sent to the cloud and accessible anywhere.

As long as you are within mobile phone reception we get a live feed of all the Air Data and Engine Data

Final visualisation would be a dot moving live on Google Earth and when clicking on it all the data are accessible

Project 1 and 2 are 90% done and project 3 is 50% done.

I could have used the RDAC from the Extreme EFIS but the data coming out from the serial output is raw and need to be treated by the Xtreme.

The data coming out of the EIS 4000 is "clean" and usable.

I also like the XAVION compatibility with the iLevil.

The GRT EIS is hugely popular in the USA. They have sold something like 25,000 (twenty five thousand!) of these things.

I considered it for my plane (it is the "recommended" engine monitor although you can customise the panel to whatever one you want) and discounted it on the basis that the user interface is pretty ancient and there were much easier to read, though more expensive, units available. However if you're short of panel space it is considered a very reliable and capable unit. I'm reconsidering the EIS for a panel upgrade, but linked to one of their new HXr displays.

The guys I know with Pitts Model 12s who have the EIS have no issues with it at all, though looking at banks of numbers and getting to know the many pages of submenus takes a little getting used to.

MGL units are good as far as I know but support can be a bit hit and miss. I've never heard of support problems from GRT.