DiY ADSB-in

fatmal

I was reading a slashdot story about the recent AirAsia data entry error that led to a Syd-KL flight diverting to Melbourne (story & comments at Data Entry Blunders Force Air Asia Pilots To Land in Melbourne Instead of Malaysia - Slashdot).

One of the comments had a link to home-made ADSB-in receiver based on a Raspberry Pi - Stratux by cyoung

Appears to be an interesting project, and integrates with a few EFB's.

All we need now is for someone (smarter than me!) to extend this to ADSB-out - could be a much cheaper option for ADSB compliance.

mal.

Unless it's been proven to work with OzRwys or Avplan then save your money. Geez, why do some people promote these products here - maybe big noting themselves ?

Ummm big noting themselves because we have purchased a device to make our flight safer?

Not sure how we can big not ourselves, we didn't make the device.

Oz does not implement UAT. Apart from this, N- registered aircraft with a UAT capable transponder will have access to IFR airspace without needing two implementations of ADSB. See CASA AIP 61/14 for example.

Short answer: yes you can buy and fit a TSO'd mode S transponder plus a WAAS GPS source or a combined unit but it will have features you need to turn off because the UAT frequency 978 MHz is not reserved for that use.

The Open Flight Solutions ADSB-IN box works with AvPlan EFB. (Actually, AvPlan EFB works with pretty much everything except the Stratus 2S and the GDL39).

Be careful with the ones which only work in the USA. You need a dual band ADSB-in box in Australia (needs to support 1090ES). You wont get ADSB weather in Australia either.

We sell the Dual XGPS190 and bundle in 1 years AvPlan EFB. It connects via Bluetooth so is really easy to set up and use. See it at Dual XGPS 190 GPS/ADSB/AHRS - AvPlan EFB - Electronic Flight Bag

All the ones with an AHRS also drives the AvPlan EFB synthetic vision as well, giving you a backup panel on your iPad.

Unless it's been proven to work with OzRwys or Avplan then save your money. Geez, why do some people promote these products here - maybe big noting themselves ?

The ADSB in receiver based on a Raspberry Pi also works with OzRunways. Here's a link to the Sonex Aus site SonexAus - ADS-B Receiver where I have written up my experience. In the article is a link to the OzRunways site where there are detailed instructions. I'm not sure how reliable the system is, but any extra warning of other aircraft is good, and you already know you have to look out the window don't you?

I have built the raspberry Pi one, connected to Ozrunways and works a treat. Dont knock it or the purchasers until you have tried it or made a better one.