Hi

Biggles69

Just registered this site.

Based at Whakatane in the Bay of Plenty, North Island, NZ. Active member of the Taumarunui Aero Club (in the middle of the North Island and affiliated to Flying NZ). Current PPL & Recreational Pilot Licence holder with ratings in C150, C152, C172 and Tomahawk.

PPLs in my age group are being savaged by NZ CAA medical fees and requirements that discriminate on age, hence the RPL back-up.

Its quite simple biggles69, fly a 3rd generation microlight, either hire it from your local club at about half the cost of an aero club aircraft, or buy your own, do your own maintenance, fly on a drivers license medical, use about half the fuel of an aero club aircraft - at about the same speed. The only real limitations are 2 seats max, and VFR day flight only.

Sure Alan. These are NZ fees and costs for May 2016

CAA Application for Medical (Which you have to pay before you can see your doctor) $313.00

MD Pilot Medical Fee $146.00

Pilot Assessment and Licence Issue Fee (MD charge) $100.00

Biennial ECG $48.00

Biennial Treadmill Fee via a cardiologist $370.00

Total rort $977.00

Its quite simple biggles69, fly a 3rd generation microlight, either hire it from your local club at about half the cost of an aero club aircraft, or buy your own, do your own maintenance, fly on a drivers license medical, use about half the fuel of an aero club aircraft - at about the same speed. The only real limitations are 2 seats max, and VFR day flight only.

I've got my RPL for that reason. But I worked hard for my ppl and would like to hold onto it for as long as possible. I've not been within a country mile of failing.

Welcome Biggles69, could you enlighten us on the medical fees and requirements.Alan.

Sure Alan. These are NZ fees and costs for May 2016

CAA Application for Medical (Which you have to pay before you can see your doctor) $313.00

Biennial ECG $48.00

Total rort $977.00

NZ fees and costs for May 2016CAA Application for Medical (Which you have to pay before you can see your doctor) $313.00

Biennial ECG $48.00

Total rort $977.00

and people complain about CASA.... (yes me in recent times to)

Medical around $200 (class 2) around $400 (class 1)

CASA Application Fee $75.00

I've got my RPL for that reason. But I worked hard for my ppl and would like to hold onto it for as long as possible. I've not been within a country mile of failing.Sure Alan. These are NZ fees and costs for May 2016

Biennial ECG $48.00

Total rort $977.00

OMG from land of the we can do anything better to land of the shitter in one post!

Thats ridiculous....Im a university trained exercise physiologist who is highly trained in doing stress tests and they dont tell you jack shite in 95% of cases...They are wonderful for people who do have a problem and useless for most others

Its important to note that the costs quoted above apply only to PPL pilots flying GA aircraft. None of them apply to those flying microlight aircraft (such as the Alpi 200 on the left). Microlights in NZ are administered by the Recreational Aircraft Assn of NZ (RAANZ) - CAA only have a a monitoring role (thank God). The result is that GA pilots (having for years been dismissive of our aircraft) are now migrating to the microlight ranks in droves. My fixed costs consist of: club sub - $70, RAANZ sub - $70, annual rego for the aircraft - $150, and biannual medical - $45. Thats it.