Oil filter split

jetjr

agree

options appear very hard to come by.

Interesting I found some comments regarding over pressurization, filter should expand, balloon like, not split.

Most failures discussed are Seal and base failures

Yep I know plus several similar problems reported here and UKAnyone got a better brand or type available in AU?

See the below advert from a Jabiru parts supplier (parts4aircraft.com) , they should be available in AU

Mahle Knecht OC-534 - Toyota/Jabiru Oil Filter

Incorporates an Anti-Drainback Valve. We have sold hundreds of these filters both to Jabiru owners and Jabiru service personel.

Top Quality automotive oil filter manufactured by the German company Mahle Knecht. Original equipment suppliers to BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, VW, and many more.

The fact is, the Jabiru engine uses an ordinary automotive filter designed for Toyota cars. The brand supplied and fitted by Jabiru is Ryco, an Australian automotive filter manufacturer. Jabiru list in their current Instruction & Maintenance Manual, document number JEM2204-9, "OIl Filter - Ryco Z 386 or equivalent" They also refer to it as an "automotive spin-on filter."

Mahle Knecht OC-534 has an anti-drainback valve and is equivalent to Ryco Z 386 in every way. Both are manufactured for use on the same Toyota car engines.

Whether they are needed depends on the angle they are mounted at (amongst other things). It's not a high cost item. Visible through the smaller outer holes as a synthetic rubber washer covering the inside. Nev

I have been using Sakura on my 2200. Made in Indonesia I think. Found the only noticeable difference was the base of the filter bigger that ryco. Still fitted ok but a bit tight due to my air ducts.

Because the same spec filter is used in Toyota echo and I think some versions of RAV4 you can buy the genuine Toyota parts. Last time I checked they came in a box sealed with a hologram sticker so the dealer didnt want me opening them without paying the $32.

The things to look for (after getting the thread and seal dimensions, ADV and pressure relief details correct, is that the internal parts such as springs, PRV etc. are metal not some brittle plastic which has been seen in those oil filter teardowns on utube.

Every Ryco I've opened up as part of the inspection process has been with the metal parts. the filter paper in them has varied but probably not an issue now that its a 25 hr replacement item

Been looking and there's a few good brands offering a compatible filter, Baldwin, OEM Toyota, Fleetgaurd and others, just not sure they arent all the same, possibly the same manufacturer.

Recommendation appreciated thank you however I'm not sure how anyone can tell what is a good, bad or premium filter and that's my problem.

The champion pictured appears identical to Ryco

The std Ryco is around double that price in AU