LIGHT SIGNALS

oldpilot

I've used both light signals and pyrotechnics, but young enough to have only used them when there were radio problems.

My private licence is dated4/7/56..........my Commercial is 21/2/66.........in that period the change was made to radio.......when in PNG, we only had HF to operate on, and VHF for major airports.......the only aid we had was ADF.

[ATTACH=full]47209[/ATTACH]Air traffic controllers still have signal lights.

Yes, but how many people have had the experience of knowing what they mean...or what to do...........there's a big difference between learning what they mean, and the actual practical.

Flying into a Air show having radio failure yep that green light came but I had a comited landing on the grass when I seen itKnew what it ment Neil

Let me assure you...........when you are the only a/c getting the signal....no trouble...........when you are in the circuit.........and have 8-10 a/c in the circuit..............some on final, all at different heights, and in those days, heights were haphazard,, it's not easy to know who the light is for.........as many who flew into each other found out........records show tigers and austers flying into each other, as they mistakenly thought the light was for them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

OP. You beat me by a couple of years (or three) Bankstown was an allover field when I first flew there from Newcastle (District Park which was a rather small aerodrome dimensionally) A few visitors didn't actually get to land things like an Auster. There..(an Auster .. Can you believe that? When you are used to them, two tennis courts would be enough) This guy came up from Sydney, on one notable occasion and had about 20 goes at landing and actually got the wheels on the ground a couple of times, and then gave up and went back to Sydney. So the place was pretty small.

My first landing at Bankstown, Being used to Newcastle I came in low over the Royal aero clubhouse and put the Chippie down as I'm used to and pulled up just short of the gable marker, which was the aerodrome boundary. I hadn't even used the aerodrome. Embarrassing. I hadn't thought of gable markers and some of the grass not being an aerodrome. Anyhow I taxied in and parked where an engineer came over and said. "It's easy to work out where YOU came from". I had never been to anyplace much but Rutherford and District Park and had bugger all hours up. Funny looking back on it. Nev

• Like 1

OP. You beat me by a couple of years (or three) Bankstown was an allover field when I first flew there from Newcastle (District Park which was a rather small aerodrome dimensionally) A few visitors didn't actually get to land things like an Auster. There..(an Auster .. Can you believe that? When you are used to them, two tennis courts would be enough) This guy came up from Sydney, on one notable occasion and had about 20 goes at landing and actually got the wheels on the ground a couple of times, and then gave up and went back to Sydney. So the place was pretty small.My first landing at Bankstown, Being used to Newcastle I came in low over the Royal aero clubhouse and put the Chippie down as I'm used to and pulled up just short of the gable marker, which was the aerodrome boundary. I hadn't even used the aerodrome. Embarrassing. I hadn't thought of gable markers and some of the grass not being an aerodrome. Anyhow I taxied in and parked where an engineer came over and said. "It's easy to work out where YOU came from". I had never been to anyplace much but Rutherford and District Park and had bugger all hours up. Funny looking back on it. Nev

Todays aces don't know the fun of real flying.........Aero Pelican when first opened was a prime example of fun.

• Agree 1