G'Day

hyphoktm

Hi,

I started flying later in life, choosing to begin with hang gliders.I am now 2 years along this path and I have gained my power endorsement and bought a T-Lite trike a few months ago. I am a member of the HGFA and I am enjoying hang gliding on the coast and using the motor for outback adventures :) Lately, I have been toying with the idea of 3-Axis flying and I am thinking of joining my local gliding club (Mangrove Mountain, central Coast?). I think I would like to eventually purchase my own glider or ultralight. I am still trying to work out where I want to end up. I would think something that I could transport by trailer and set up and fly with minimal assistance. Maybe an

x-Air/ultralight or upgrade to a larger trike. Who knows! As they say, 'its all about the journey' !

[GALLERY=media, 3843]T-Lite by hyphoktm posted Dec 11, 2016 at 3:31 PM[/GALLERY]

I see it's your first post. Welcome aboard. I used to flyover your area lot. That trike looks simple and basic.( Not that I'm an expert). I've stuck with 3 axis. My loss, but probably wise at my stage of the journey. Gliding is something I reckon is worthwhile. I just might go back to it, the way things appear to be going. Nev

Hi Nev,

Yes, basic but well engineered and using aircraft grade materials and hardware. The wing is a beefed up version of the popular Airborne floater wing F2 190. Its manufactured in Oz just south of Newcastle. It doesn't have all the comforts of a larger and more expensive aircraft but it's my ride into the sky. It's a lot of fun. In fact the journey learning to fly hang gliders was incredible. I'm sure I will continue to hang glide no matter where my journey takes me.

Richard

• Like 1

Hi,I started flying later in life, choosing to begin with hang gliders]

Hi Richard, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif! Better late than never.....I considered hang gliding before I started flying! Decided I wanted to be able to fly off my own property so I built a copy of a Chinook WT2, back in the late mid eighties, learnt to fly it and went from there. Flown numerous Ultralights, over the years.

There`s an X-Air with a Rotax 582 housed here on our property! It belongs to a guy I instructed, way back when I was instructing,I`ve flown it several times and it flies well.

There`s a guy in Cairns, well into his sixties, who owns and flies a T-Lite! he`s landed here a couple of times and I`m quite impressed with it, great little aircraft, back to basics at a reasonable cost.

Frank.

Hi Frank,

Yes, it is a lot of fun to fly. I am thinking a move to 3 axis as I believe I would have more opportunity to fly when it's too strong for the trike. But for the time being I am happy with the options I have at the moment.

Richard

Some 3 axis can't manage a lot of wind. Very low wing loading single seat types. Gyro's seem to be able to handle gusty conditions. (general statement). Doesn't seem to be as many of those around as used to be, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places Nev

Some 3 axis can't manage a lot of wind. Very low wing loading single seat types. Gyro's seem to be able to handle gusty conditions. (general statement). Nev

Interesting you should mention gyros. I had a ride in one a month ago and was very impressed with how smooth they are. I think they would be a viable alternative, especially out in the bush. The problem is the well built ones are north of $100,000.