Just landed

Mzungu

G'day from Queensland, Australia.I don't have a lot of experience with rec aviation, just a few hours in Gazelles and Jabirus, but certainly interested.

Hi and welcome Mzungu 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gifWhere abouts in Queensland? I just purchased my first plane, a real nice Jabiru LSA55, which I'm still getting used to. Overall, I'm very impressed with it, so I'd be very interested in what your impressions of the Jabs are.

Cheers, Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Hi and welcome Mzungu 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gifWhere abouts in Queensland? I just purchased my first plane, a real nice Jabiru LSA55, which I'm still getting used to. Overall, I'm very impressed with it, so I'd be very interested in what your impressions of the Jabs are.

Cheers, Tony

Currently in Toowoomba, but around the countryside a bit. The Jab is a nice machine. I flew a J160D from Perth to Sydney recently, for a new owner. There were issues with the engine, but entirely due to the way it had been previously operated (using motor car oil while running both avgas and mogas on different occasions) rather than any design issue. The biggest issue I had initially was flaring too high, as I'm not used to sitting so low!

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif to the forum Mzungu. Tell us a bit about your flying! Have you done many hours?

At around 1000 hours as a pilot, about 30 on LSAs. Mainly flown bushfire operations in Australia (Scout, Cessna 185, 206, 208) and commercial ops in Africa (Pilatus Porter, C208, Shorts 330). Keen to try floating-hull seaplanes next!

Currently in Toowoomba, but around the countryside a bit. The Jab is a nice machine. I flew a J160D from Perth to Sydney recently, for a new owner. There were issues with the engine, but entirely due to the way it had been previously operated (using motor car oil while running both avgas and mogas on different occasions) rather than any design issue. The biggest issue I had initially was flaring too high, as I'm not used to sitting so low!

Hey, we are virtually locals. I'm based at Coominya, just 30mn east of Toowoomba. I know what you mean about flaring too high, it's low like a sports car. It is comfortable.Tony

• Like 1

Hey, we are virtually locals. I'm based at Coominya, just 30mn east of Toowoomba. I know what you mean about flaring too high, it's low like a sports car. It is comfortable.Tony

I too am almost a neighbour, my CH701 is based at Warwick. Jabiru engine. Quite a few Jabs operating at Warwick. You will find a lot of forum members are very deprecatory of Jabiru engines but the guys operating here have around 600hrs on theirs (Well one has, I don't know the others well enough) all are convinced that with proper maintenance there is no problem I have only around 30hrs total run time on mine.

• Agree 1

I too am almost a neighbour, my CH701 is based at Warwick. Jabiru engine. Quite a few Jabs operating at Warwick. You will find a lot of forum members are very deprecatory of Jabiru engines but the guys operating here have around 600hrs on theirs (Well one has, I don't know the others well enough) all are convinced that with proper maintenance there is no problem I have only around 30hrs total run time on mine.

I am a recent convert to liking the Jab engines. All of the other aircraft I have flown have had Rotax engines, so it has been a steep learning curve to learn how to manage them since I purchase mine a month ago. Light weight and fuel efficient. Like all engines, as you said, as long as you maintain and operate them correctly, they shouldn't give you problems.

G'Day Nightmare , my engine ( 2200 No.2787 ) in my J160, has given trouble free operation for nearly 10 years now. It has run exclusively on Avgas, and the heads have never been removed ( about 430 hours). I do fairly regular Leak down testing, and swing the prop through about 12 blades before every flight. I do oil changes around every 25 hours, sometimes more frequently, and replace the spark plugs, set at .023", after every 50 hours. My CHT's with an ambient temp of around 23oC, (at MTOW and S&L),are around 130oC ,except for No1which runs considerably lower. I am the sole pilot and ensure proper run up checks are done prior to each take-off ( ie. 2200 rpm,as recommended ) and have a climb-out fuel flow of around 32 l/hr (depending on atmospheric conditions), with around 17 l/hr S&L @ 2850 rpm. I would expect that the fuel flow figures with the smaller Jab( at MTOW)to be a little lower. With proper operation your engine should give similar service and reliability ...... Bob :cheers:o

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

G'Day Nightmare , my engine ( 2200 No.2787 ) in my J160, has given trouble free operation for nearly 10 years now. It has run exclusively on Avgas, and the heads have never been removed ( about 430 hours). I do fairly regular Leak down testing, and swing the prop through about 12 blades before every flight. I do oil changes around every 25 hours, sometimes more frequently, and replace the spark plugs, set at .023", after every 50 hours. My CHT's with an ambient temp of around 23oC, (at MTOW and S&L),are around 130oC ,except for No1which runs considerably lower. I am the sole pilot and ensure proper run up checks are done prior to each take-off ( ie. 2200 rpm,as recommended ) and have a climb-out fuel flow of around 32 l/hr (depending on atmospheric conditions), with around 17 l/hr S&L @ 2850 rpm. I would expect that the fuel flow figures with the smaller Jab( at MTOW)to be a little lower. With proper operation your engine should give similar service and reliability ...... Bob :cheers:o

It's great to hear, Bob, reading your experience is like hearing what the previous owner of my plane reported he was doing and experiencing, only with much improved fuel economy, but as you say, it is a lighter plane at 430kg MTOW. I plan for 15L/hr but achieve about 12L/hr. Mind you, my run up checklist recommends 2000RPM. It is also a 2200

It's great to hear, Bob, reading your experience is like hearing what the previous owner of my plane reported he was doing and experiencing, only with much improved fuel economy, but as you say, it is a lighter plane at 430kg MTOW. I plan for 15L/hr but achieve about 12L/hr. Mind you, my run up checklist recommends 2000RPM. It is also a 2200

Not knowing the history of your engine (hours, work done etc. ) it's a little hard to comment, but a leakdown test would be a good investment to establish 'where your engine is at'. The lsa55 is a simple and reliable aircraft and shouldn't cause you much concern.Strong airframe and a readily available supply of parts if needed, unlike some imported aircraft ,where the parts need to be air freighted from overseas,take weeks to come and often cost the earth ...... Bob

Not knowing the history of your engine (hours, work done etc. ) it's a little hard to comment, but a leakdown test would be a good investment to establish 'where your engine is at'. The lsa55 is a simple and reliable aircraft and shouldn't cause you much concern.Strong airframe and a readily available supply of parts if needed, unlike some imported aircraft ,where the parts need to be air freighted from overseas,take weeks to come and often cost the earth ...... Bob

Leakdown tests were done as part of the 100hrly service and condition report just prior to me purchasing the aircraft and I believe all was good, so independent an person told me after seeing the results. So far, I have to say, I am very impressed.
  • Like 1