Albury to Lakes enterance

stevron

on Tuesday the 28th march a Brumby pilot and a jabiru pilot meet at the Albury airport for a flight to Lakes Enterance, it was about lunch time before the two little planes headed to off .

Departing Albury we began climbing to 5500' for Mitta Mitta , the Brumby flying on top of the cloud (scattered) and the jabiru under the cloud at 3500', we had a small detour to view Dartmouth dam from the air , what a sight it was, just fantastic. A additional climb to 7500' for the Brumby and bingo a 30 plus knot tail wind , look out Lakes we will be there in double quick time, flying via Benambra valley (another superb view ) the Brumby was handling the conditions like a thoroughbred . The last 54miles straight to YLKE was bumpy and a quick descent to stay under the steps of Sale air space , then we were on top of the grass strip ( long grass) of YLKE , this is up hill if approached for 26 . The owner of the strip was on site to greet us and offer a lift into town . We explored the town , booked into the Heyfield motel ( a welcoming place and the owner was not fussed and allowed us a late check out) the Motel is walking distance into town . We settled for an evening meal at the RSL which was quite busy for a Tuesday evening. Wednesday morning more walking and exploring, followed by breakfast. Before we knew it I was time to depart this friendly coastal town. Departure from the airstrip was made easier due to the maintenance of the grass which is now short in readiness for the arrival of the Mount Gambier club. Out bound was as rough as our arrival and made more interesting by the 20/30 knot head wind ( the higher I climbed the more the head wind ) we need to climb to clear the high country that was coming up , so at 8500' I was pushing a great deal of head wind , on the bright side - another fantastic view and beautiful sky's and believe me I had time to look around .

I descended on Mitta Mitta and call called Albury tower and to my surprise the tower operator was unbelievable busy and stayed that way for the rest of the trip to Albury , I have never heard so much traffic before .

The 24 hour trip was enjoyable , via mountains, sea, valleys and fine little village of Lakes Enterance.

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Stevron

Not as bad going across the top as some who have never flown it make it out to be

I have flown various ways from West Sale to Porepunkah, Mt Beauty & Yarrawonga in both Trikes and 3 axis

Up through the Licola Valley via Mansfield, up the Dargo Valley and around via Bairnsdale -Bruthen & the Livingston Valley & direct

Lot of options if you plan it well and not fly tree top height, height is your friend

• Like 1