Endurance

Admin

Guys, what kind of endurance do you think the Master should have? It currently has two wing tanks but we need to size them - remember the more fuel the more weight, the less fuel means more stops and being a Rotax if you prefer to use Mogas then that is also something to think about.

I will start with 2 x 50 litre tanks - that gives 100 litres which is about 4hrs plus reserve and at 170 knots it would also mean 680 miles - total fuel weight = 73kg

Guest Flyer40

Ian

My selection criteria in relation to fuel is a minimum of 4-hours plus reserve. You're right on the money.

I treat this as yet another risk area where my personal minimums are much higher than what the rules require. In Australia our airports are usually very far apart and you never know when you might need to go around and head to an alternate.

Mal

Guest High Plains Drifter

Ian, If there is little structual weight increase, I would make the fuel tanks as large as practicable - there is no need for the tanks to be full every flight.

HPD

Some wise sage once said the only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire.

The Tecnam has two 45 litre tanks, so having it rounded off and up to two 50L tanks makes things easy for fuel caclulations as well as weight and balance...

My vote is for two 50L tanks.

Ben

The bladder is only good for a max of 4 hours so 2 x 50L is good enough for me.... mind you, at that speed it's not going to take long to get somewhere..Melbourne - Adelaide in 2 hours..

Regards

Phil

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

you see HPD.... the plane has a stick in the middle which gets mixed up with other sticks so sticks and containers have to be moved around, I'm also a big bloke and the plane hasn't got that much room for excess stick movement....

The other factor is...025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif stage fright maybe..025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

regards

Phil

I'd vote for the biggest tanks it can fit. The wet wing Jabs have 140 on paper but realistically 126 - 130. I prefer huge tanks like these so I can fill up at the start of the month, then fill up a month later, that way I can fly for an hour a weekend or more and not have to fill up. I also like the long endurance so I can fly from Melbourne to Narromine and not have to fill up at $1.90 a litre so I can fly back and fill up cheaper at a major airport on the way home and avoid the queues. Same goes if I'm outback, if I need to I can reduce RPM and get an incredibly high range from the aircraft.

If you could have large tanks that you could fill right up for when you are solo that would be good too. Makes the Ferry flights to New Zealand easier!