Old but new

Hughesy

G'day all. seems like a great forum I've joined.

New to flying but keen as mustard to get flying.

Lots of reading to do and the learning curve is quite steep.

I'm in the ryde area of sydney.

Would you have any recommendations for a flying school. Perhaps a more patient instructor for 60 yr old learners

It's been a long time desire to do this and I've finally got all the pieces in place.

Looking forward to picking your brains when it get closer to buying my own ( jabiru and savannah appear to be high on most lists )

Cheers Hughesy

• Like 2

G`Day Hughesy, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif!!! I started flying Ultralights way back in the early days of the AUF.... You and others, starting off, will be starting with far more privilages` than those of us who started back then! unfortunately! over the years, costs` associated with recreational flying have greatly increased and will only continue to increase, but that`s how it goes.

Havn`t flown the Savanah but have flown the Zenith 701, many times! I suspect they would be very similar... Numerous Savanah owner/pilots` on here!

Frank

• Like 1

Hi and welcome Hughesy. All my instructors have been around that age, so I doubt you will find it difficult finding a good one in your area. Shop around, meet the people at the flying schools and have a chat with them. Even have a TIF(Trial Introductory Flight) with one or two to see how everything feels for you. Check out the RAAus website for flying schools in your area.

Costs? Expect to pay from $200 to $250 per hour. Lessons usually run about an hour. I generally took my lessons at the rate of a lesson per week, or one per fortnight. Any longer and I found I was playing catch up too much. It's all competency based so you'll get your RPC when you are ready. You need to pass 5 exams as you progress through your training, but relax, it is all awesome! I had so much fun plowing through my flight training.

I can vouch for the Jabiru's. I just purchased a LSA55. She is easy and fun to fly, and economical to run. I hear similar about the Savannahs.

Keep us up to date with your progress...

Cheers,

Tony

Hi and welcome Hughesy. All my instructors have been around that age, so I doubt you will find it difficult finding a good one in your area. Shop around, meet the people at the flying schools and have a chat with them. Even have a TIF(Trial Introductory Flight) with one or two to see how everything feels for you. Check out the RAAus website for flying schools in your area.Costs? Expect to pay from $200 to $250 per hour. Lessons usually run about an hour. I generally took my lessons at the rate of a lesson per week, or one per fortnight. Any longer and I found I was playing catch up too much. It's all competency based so you'll get your RPC when you are ready. You need to pass 5 exams as you progress through your training, but relax, it is all awesome! I had so much fun plowing through my flight training.

I can vouch for the Jabiru's. I just purchased a LSA55. She is easy and fun to fly, and economical to run. I hear similar about the Savannahs.

Keep us up to date with your progress...

Cheers,

Tony

G'day Tony. Thanks for the advice and encouragement

Will def keep you posted.

I'm thinking this could all be quite addictive

I've always been around professional sporting teams and the camaraderie is what I missed the most when I retired. This group feels a lot like a team. Common goals and a bit of piss taking along the way.

I like it.

• Like 1