Hi from Bathurst, N.S.W Australia

looking forward to reading some amusing anecdotes.....and writing a few!

Had the money, aircraft and time to take my RV4 to the U.S and spend almost 2 years backpacking with my aircraft around the U.S and Canada with it.

Spectacular flying the Rockies in winter up the Simi Valley into the Okanagan!

Then there was the occasion when I was on descent into Brisbane when I discovered that there was a Tiger snake on board (it crawled across my lap).

• Like 1

...Then there was the occasion when I was on descent into Brisbane when I discovered that there was a Tiger snake on board (it crawled across my lap).

Obviously your preflights need to be improved!

• Haha 1

Obviously your preflights need to be improved!

You have a point! However most aircraft have an inner and outer skin with lots of access holes for control rods and cables.

That is where the barstad retreated to after we landed at Archerfield....making it very difficult to encourage it to leave!

The Tower got quite excited......don't think they had ever had a snake emergency before.

Had to load up with snake catching equipment and fly on (pillow case and a towel)..... yes I know how crazy that sounds but at this point we believed it was only a green tree snake.

Only later that a National Park Ranger smugly identified it as a swamp tiger snake (they are dark green)!

Bit of an oops....it finally left the aircraft at Ballina.

Let me get this right...you had a snake slide over your lap, landed, couldn't catch it, so took off again?That's what I call get-there-itis.

As I said...we convinced ourselves it was only a tree snake.

And how do you get a snake out of an air frame....short of dismantling the aircraft?

Did not help that after we landed at Archerfield the tower sent a heap of airport corporation vehicles and staff to surround the aircraft with brooms, shovels and other snake fighting gear.

The snake attempted to leave out an air vent....took one look at that lot and came back in with us!

Called the tower and asked them to piss off.

You have a point! However most aircraft have an inner and outer skin with lots of access holes for control rods and cables.That is where the barstad retreated to after we landed at Archerfield....making it very difficult to encourage it to leave!

The Tower got quite excited......don't think they had ever had a snake emergency before.

Had to load up with snake catching equipment and fly on (pillow case and a towel)..... yes I know how crazy that sounds but at this point we believed it was only a green tree snake.

Only later that a National Park Ranger smugly identified it as a swamp tiger snake (they are dark green)!

Bit of an oops....it finally left the aircraft at Ballina.

Haha, my mate from Ballina is talking about the new green swamp tiger snake that has invaded the Richmond River region. Was this snake an egg-carrying female?