Jetgo jetstop

David2ayo

Noticed that Jetgo pilots landing on Runway 23 at YSDU Dubbo try very hard to pull up before taxiway A. Some make it, some don't. Is it a badge of honour? Is there an extra half stripe for success? Is there a scoreboard back at head office, "I pulled up and the teatrolley didn't come through the door!"

Its fun to watch, you can almost see the pilot's feet sticking out trying to slow the thing down, so the poor bugger doesn't have to dribble down to the far end of the runway to turn around.

David

Was on an unnamed link subsidiary carrier for an iconic Australian airline recently and on landing my iPhone, pad and glasses ended up 5 rows in front of me on the floor. We managed to pull up by B2 tho.

Was also a "Charlie challenge" at a major aerodrome until an aircraft blew a tyre.

ON a quick turnaround you will have hot brakes for the next take-off too. Not the way it should be. If you have to taxy a fair way you may have a brake fire /deflation after you've retracted the wheels, airborne . You could easily need 60 minutes wait or fly for say 10 minutes with the wheels extended to cool them. Nev

Turnaround at Dubbo for Jetgo is about 35 mins, so not too drastic. I would hope that a responsible pilot would make the stop by landing precisely, braking / reverse thrust smoothly and promptly, and not sending passengers ipads too far down the aisle. I remember when I had just began driving, there were 4 of us would drive home from school, taking it in turns to be DIC*. The other 3 would judge the hapless driver on his ability to pull up without any jerk whatsoever, if you could stop so the passengers didn't realise it you scored!

Its always a balance, isn't it. Follow the rules, be a safe pilot, and not make your challenges into a near miss.

The pilot on my trip to Melbourne was a master - came in from Brisbane on Dubbo 05, landed close to the keys, slowed down fast but just enough to swing on to taxiway A. Pulled the same stunt at Essendon - fast slowdown, but not a bit more than what was required.

Interesting comment about cooling the wheels.The Embraer feels like its hit a wall when you lower the wheels, so having to cool them must do wonders for the rate of climb.

David

* Driver in Command!

The silliest thing you ever see is someone using far too much brake and still missing the first turnoff and then having to add power to get to the next available exit. Brake servicing cost can go through the roof with poor airmanship. Reverse thrust is most effective at high speed. You should have a fair idea which turnoff you will aim for. Your landing chart will have the info you need for that. Sometimes a Light & Variable will be a 6 knot downwind and if you are fairly heavy will give the brakes a workout.. They can only absorb so much heat and that's it. Nev