Hey guys

Just wondering what's required for taking passengers a long for a flight once I have my certificate?

I'm getting mixed messages I've been told 5 solo hours and others say ten. Now is this because of 5 hours or so solo during completing the certificate with an additional 5 after wards? Or is it ten hours after completion of the pilots certificate?

I would also assume there is theory as there is with every other endorsement.

Plus on a side note, does anyone have and use a thigh mounted note pad during flight for information?

Thanks in advance guys

• More 1

From the Ops Man:

An applicant for the issue of a Passenger Endorsement must:

1. have logged a minimum of 10 hours flight time as pilot in command of an aeroplane; and

2. have a minimum of 2 hours flight time as pilot in command of a two seat recreational aeroplane of the same Group, aeroplane type and design features; and

3. pass a flight check with a RAAus Examiner

And on Q2: I use a RAAF kneeboard with my plan details on it and a kneedock for my iPad that I bought from the OzRwy folks, if that helps?

• Like 1

Thanks mate that's helped heaps!

Do solo hours during flight training count or must I have the certificate?

Yea I've been looking at a few knee pads and the ones here in the shop don't look that bad.

Thanks

• Like 1

CASR 61 is quite clear that "dual" time can only be counted when the instructor is actually occupying a control seat, so if you are solo as part of your training, you are the PIC. In turn, solo hours conducted as part of your training do count towards your Pax Endo. But you still need 2 hours time-in-type - but there is nothing saying these 2 hours cannot be flown concurrently with your 10 PIC hours.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks mate!

I'm getting close to my first solo (nervous!) and was wondering if I still put my instructor or me down as PIC. But in hindsight that seems silly if he's not there 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.

Thanks mate!I'm getting close to my first solo (nervous!) and was wondering if I still put my instructor or me down as PIC. But in hindsight that seems silly if he's not there 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.

For solo flying you are the PIC, but you are still under supervision from your flight instructor. He or she would be monitoring you at least on the radio, and possibly has eyes on you in the air, and that's why you still pay at the student rate rather than the hire rate. But as far as your log book goes, you are the PIC for all solo time.As others have said already, once you complete your RPC you will have already clocked up at least 5 hours solo, so once you do another 5 hours plus pass that flight test, that PAX endorsement will be yours. Once you've got your PAX endo, if you haven't done any flying in 90 days, do a few touch and goes, and you are good to take a PAX again.

I try to fly every week or two so that shouldn't be a problem. Especially at the moment doing circuits.....I'd do 10 in a session.....(does that count? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif)

Yes they do, for that type of aircraft.You must be getting excited, nearing solo? It's one of those big moments in life.... Enjoy 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am pumped! Can't wait to solo......and also nervous as all Buggery!

I'm not sure how my first solo will come around, some have organised it with my instructor while others I've talked to have had him just get out and say go. I'm in a way, hoping for the latter.

So basically there is no theory for PAX, it's all practical?

Jayke

• Like 1

I am pumped! Can't wait to solo......and also nervous as all Buggery!I'm not sure how my first solo will come around, some have organised it with my instructor while others I've talked to have had him just get out and say go. I'm in a way, hoping for the latter.

Jayke

Don't worry, your CFI will not send you on solo before you are ready, and he will know when you are ready. Don't be nervous, you have been flying the plane now for a while, exercise your confidence the way you have been trained, be the pilot in command. My CFI was in two minds about sending me on solo, I expected it on one lesson, but I went the next, and when it happened, he casually got out of the plane and said to me, "you can take it for a Solo circuit now, just keep doing what you've been doing", and I was off.... one of the best moments in my life.

No, from memory there's a little theory as well to gain your Pax endo, but be ahead of the training and ask your instructor what's involved. For me it was a relatively easy endorsement to attain

Then your flight test will be safety related stuff, like EFATO refresher training and the like.

Awesome, I'm pumped to get it done. Take the Mrs up and get her crook 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I did some work for a couple living in the dairy next door to the airport and told them if I have EFATO I'll pop in for some tea and biscuits.

• Haha 1

You'll find bits & pieces that are relevant throughout many parts of your texts, but yes, it is very much a practical test. Common sense is important. Look at the bigger picture 1st. I emphasise items such as ensuring your passengers friends and rellies are encouraged to take all the pics they want, out and in the aircraft - then herd them back to a safe spot and direct that they stay there before you startup.

It's akin to very important preflight items like refuelling and re-oiling. There are practical do's and don'ts that you best learn from your instructor. None more so that ensuring caps are properly locked down.

Good luck with your flying.

You'll find bits & pieces that are relevant throughout many parts of your texts, but yes, it is very much a practical test. Common sense is important. Look at the bigger picture 1st. I emphasise items such as ensuring your passengers friends and rellies are encouraged to take all the pics they want, out and in the aircraft - then herd them back to a safe spot and direct that they stay there before you startup.It's akin to very important preflight items like refuelling and re-oiling. There are practical do's and don'ts that you best learn from your instructor. None more so that ensuring caps are properly locked down.

Good luck with your flying.

Ahh yes the fuel caps. My instructor refueled the plane from jerry cans while i pre flighted it on the weekend. When finished i asked him if he had the caps back on properly and he replied maybe. So i pulled the ladder out and doubled checked which made him very happy. As it was a test to never trust someone's else's word especially if im the pilot.