PNG Highlands - First Landing on new strip

Phil Perry

Sorry if this has been posted previously. . .http://www.chonday.com/Vide...

There has been a series of TV 'episodes' of Susi Air flying in both Papua and the rest of Indonesia. Firstly on Australian SBS TV I think. The strips they use are reminiscent of those in Papua New Guinea back in the 60's and 70's. Once the Aussie regulator began to mandate standards for commercial operations in PNG, these particularly 'hairy' strips lost their commercial approvals and became private, (missions), only.

Regardless of whether there's a reliable P & W up front in their Porter, you can see that if the aircraft becomes a glider - there are not too many options for a safe landing.

happy days......they were indeed!

There has been a series of TV 'episodes' of Susi Air flying in both Papua and the rest of Indonesia. Firstly on Australian SBS TV I think. The strips they use are reminiscent of those in Papua New Guinea back in the 60's and 70's. Once the Aussie regulator began to mandate standards for commercial operations in PNG, these particularly 'hairy' strips lost their commercial approvals and became private, (missions), only.Regardless of whether there's a reliable P & W up front in their Porter, you can see that if the aircraft becomes a glider - there are not too many options for a safe landing.

happy days......they were indeed!

I was just trying to imagine what those PNG Highland natives would say when CASA told them, . '.Hey guys,. . .we're a bit sorry it took you fourteen years of backbreaking manual work to build your runway, BUT. . . it doesn't comply with OUR regulations. . .sorry about that,. . .try again and give us a call in another fourteen years. . . .'.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif