In the vicinity of an aerodrome Car 166 (2)

Apart from the obvious safety considerations can anyone clarify the requirement for reporting overflying at certain locations?

CASA seems to imply that it only applies to registered Aerodromes (so would exclude, for example, Warkworth YWKW) but the VFRG implies that it applies to all Airfields published in ERSA (Warkworth is in ERSA).

I make a position call 10nm away if I'm likely to impact on operations at any airfield marked on the charts. At or around overfly height, or if I can hear traffic on the radio in that vicinity, I make position calls. Also, if I'm higher but hear glider or parachute ops in the area, I'll make a call as well. I don't like not being visible on the radio when I'm flying.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Great question, I went for a spin on Sunday up to lakeside airpark just to see where it was.

Travelling up, all of a sudden I realized I was almost over the airfield at 3000' so made a quick call to note I was going to complete a right hand orbit overhead just for a look.

In theory I should have made a call 10nm out as an inbound to overfly, but didn't realize how close I was. With no other traffic on the radio that I could hear, I figured I was in the clear as I was well above circuit height.

Was a spectacular day too up in the air... reminded me of my love for flying..

:)

But back to the original post, what is the actual requirements in non-CTAF® airfields? I assume just an inbound and joining circuit are the minimums?

That sounds like the OAKS, the airstrip is overflown by "inbound Camden YSCN".

And the police use the parallel strip for practice, unnerving for low time students.

spacesailor

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

But back to the original post, what is the actual requirements in non-CTAF® airfields? I assume just an inbound and joining circuit are the minimums?

Can I suggest that you read 166 for a start. Then, use the search function on here and read the past threads and postings on the subject. Then - go over to pprune.org and search for the huge thread there on this very subject. You'll find that CASA have, (for whatever reason), written 166 in a form that allows for quite a deal of interpretation. The primary requirement is that you maintain safe separation from other aircraft and terrain whilst operating 'near' any airport/airstrip. btw, you cannot assume anything in aviation. happy days.

• Agree 2

If an Airfield, or ALA, IS shown on official charts/maps, and no frequency specified, then use 126.7 If the Airfield or ALA is NOT depicted on official charts, then Area Frequency is required to be used. If you are beetling along on Area Freq. and an ALA is not shown, they should be operating on Area Freq. Then, it's not a complete surprise to someone not conversant with local operations, who could otherwise unwittingly, stumble across an unmarked field.

If an Airfield, or ALA, IS shown on official charts/maps, and no frequency specified, then use 126.7 If the Airfield or ALA is NOT depicted on official charts, then Area Frequency is required to be used. If you are beetling along on Area Freq. and an ALA is not shown, they should be operating on Area Freq. Then, it's not a complete surprise to someone not conversant with local operations, who could otherwise unwittingly, stumble across an unmarked field.

But just be sure you have every official map because there are a number of airfields that have appeared at times on one but not other official maps.

Be sure you know where nearby marked airfields are even if you aren't going there because where two airfields are marked but there is a gap between them it is common for aircraft moving from one airfield to the other to remain on 126.7 because they are needing to advise traffic in the circuit areas they are coming so they are likely to remain on 126.7 not change to area and miss the important traffic in their destination.

Also look at and get as much information as you can about altitudes where Area frequency is not functional. It's common for rural airports to not have any or adequate area freq reception but to be easily heard on 126.7 by aircraft operating at nearby marked. Airfields ( which often also has repeater functions and is relayed to other airfields which control centre can also hear and monitor. )

Oh damn, so that's why we have all this argument in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1