Basic Med

Over 15,000 pilots now have medical certification to fly through the FAA’s new BasicMed rule, which went into effect on May 1 of this year. The FAA estimates that at the end of 2016 there were roughly 162,000 active private pilots. Data isn’t yet available to assess the breakdown between pilots who have received BasicMed certification because they believed themselves unable to receive Third Class medical certification and pilots who sought BasicMed certification out of convenience, but the program is undeniably popular, winning over a significant portion of the pilot population in only three months.

BasicMed Pilot Ranks Growing Fast - AVweb flash Article

I wonder if this is going to lead to a drop in LSA sales? those are big numbers

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I hope so. Arbitrary weight limits on aircraft designs are counter productive to safety, utility and general robustness of airframes. I always thought the big EAA push some years ago for LSA was a mistake and the effort should have been put into medical reform. There is absolutely no shortage of airframes nowadays.

• Like 1

I hope so. Arbitrary weight limits on aircraft designs are counter productive to safety, utility and general robustness of airframes. I always thought the big EAA push some years ago for LSA was a mistake and the effort should have been put into medical reform. There is absolutely no shortage of airframes nowadays.

Not sure why you you say this.

The EAA Was the major user group who drove the basic Med change. Along with the American AOPA but last time I read about it EAA had more members than AOPA.. I was an EAA member until this year ( only dropped it cos I figured I wasn't actually using it any more) and their journals and web site had stuff about it for ages and they have been driving the medical reforms since at least 2013 when I joined.

Because it was before your time in EAA. The big LSA push was early 2000's IIRC. EAA had put medical reform in the "too hard" basket and went around it by pushing LSA with its reduced medical requirements. I didn't think much of the LSA push and still don't.

I'm President of Australian EAA Chapter 1308. Currently the only EAA Chapter in Australia. We've been going since about 1996 when it was EAA Chapter 1308 Toowoomba. We're happy to get members from elsewhere in Australia and have a few from other staes. I'm on the CASA Standards Consultation Committee for Sport Aviation.

• Like 1

Because it was before your time in EAA. The big LSA push was early 2000's IIRC. EAA had put medical reform in the "too hard" basket and went around it by pushing LSA with its reduced medical requirements. I didn't think much of the LSA push and still don't.I'm President of Australian EAA Chapter 1308. Currently the only EAA Chapter in Australia. We've been going since about 1996 when it was EAA Chapter 1308 Toowoomba. We're happy to get members from elsewhere in Australia and have a few from other staes. I'm on the CASA Standards Consultation Committee for Sport Aviation.

OK Fair enough.