Hi, I'm new here

Hi everyone,

My name is Tom and I came across the excellent tutorials on the site and thought I would say thanks for that great resource :)

I'm just starting learning to fly in a J170 and am very excited about it all. I'm looking forward to the navigation aspects that will come up in due course.

My aviation goals are not too extravagant, would love to be able to do longer trips with the family, I'd love to try camping by plane! Unfortunately I need four seats really, so will have to move to GA at some point. I think my ideal plane is a Jab 430 but don't feel like building one haha. Anyhow I'll cross that bridge when i come to it!

Hi and welcome Tom!

I see you're a local, who are you flying with? I flew out to YCAB earlier today to fill the fuel tank in my Jabiru. I believe a J430 may be an aim for you as a 4 seater, they would be similar to the J170 I would imagine. Your chosen path to getting what you want in aviation is good. Training through RAAus is definitely more economical.

Change is on the horizon, or so our RAAus upper echelon are saying. Of interest to you would be the proposed increase to the MTOW for recreational aircraft to 1500kg. If that will come with the ability to take more than 1 passenger, I don't know. But you never know, you may not have to go RPL by the time you get your certificate. Worth watching.

As scre80 said, don't forget to enjoy yourself up there.

I'm learning to fly with Caboolture Recreational Aviation. I'll certainly be watching with interest if any increase to privileges occurs. It would certainly be nice to stay RA, but who knows! So far I'm certainly enjoying myself and looking forward to getting airborne again.