Callington SA to Riddells Creek Vic

Ralf Matters

Does anyone have any advice as to the best approach into Riddells Creek from the west?

I was wondering if it would be better to fly over Castlemaine paralleling the Calder Freeway stay north of Mt Macedon until the Melbourne/ Lancefield Rd and stay west of it and fly south into Riddells Creek? I have to stay out of controlled airspace so it gets pretty tight under 2500'

Advice from local flyers greatly appreciated....

Does anyone have any advice as to the best approach into Riddells Creek from the west?I was wondering if it would be better to fly over Castlemaine paralleling the Calder Freeway stay north of Mt Macedon until the Melbourne/ Lancefield Rd and stay west of it and fly south into Riddells Creek? I have to stay out of controlled airspace so it gets pretty tight under 2500'

Advice from local flyers greatly appreciated....

Hi Ralf,

I fly out of Penfield, so often fly into that area from the west. You could certainly do what you suggest, keeping aware of Kyneton Airport (119.0), or you could follow the Calder a little further south to Rosslynne Reservoir, then turn east and approach Riddell's from there, keeping a good listen out, and look out, for Penfield traffic (121.6 - same as Riddell's).

As you say, you must keep a close eye on your altitude, stepping down appropriately. Be aware of the 2000ft step just to the east of Riddell's too.

If it is a windy day then also just keep in mind the potential effects of Mt Macedon - it can get a bit bumpy, so keep at least 100ft under the ATC steps to avoid any unintentional foray into Controlled Airspace! If you have dual radio then keep a listen on the Area frequency (135.7) too, as the controllers may warn you if you are getting too close for their comfort. They are pretty good in that respect.

HTH,

Cheers, Neil

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Both those ways are no problem at all. From New Gisborne, you can pick up the rail line eastbound. From the north coming down over Kyneton - Romsey - Monegeeta army test track, Riddell is very visible from a decent way out. More open land that way also.Coming down the Calder Highway past Mt Macedon is rather bushy, but you're not over that for long, easy nav too - keep big mountain on left, scoot past the cross on the south face peak at 3500 feet then descend. I usually prefer the north & eastern side route, numerous private strips out that side, open country. Plenty of air between ground and 2500ft there, no problem. More options to do a U-turn (east!!!) and bug out if weather is a bit claggy. Either way, ease factor: 9.34.

Hi Ralf,I fly out of Penfield, so often fly into that area from the west. You could certainly do what you suggest, keeping aware of Kyneton Airport (119.0), or you could follow the Calder a little further south to Rosslynne Reservoir, then turn east and approach Riddell's from there, keeping a good listen out, and look out, for Penfield traffic (121.6 - same as Riddell's).

As you say, you must keep a close eye on your altitude, stepping down appropriately. Be aware of the 2000ft step just to the east of Riddell's too.

If it is a windy day then also just keep in mind the potential effects of Mt Macedon - it can get a bit bumpy, so keep at least 100ft under the ATC steps to avoid any unintentional foray into Controlled Airspace! If you have dual radio then keep a listen on the Area frequency (135.7) too, as the controllers may warn you if you are getting too close for their comfort. They are pretty good in that respect.

HTH,

Cheers, Neil

Thanks Neil, I was prioritizing keep some distance between me and Mt Macedon.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Ralf,I fly out of Penfield, so often fly into that area from the west. You could certainly do what you suggest, keeping aware of Kyneton Airport (119.0), or you could follow the Calder a little further south to Rosslynne Reservoir, then turn east and approach Riddell's from there, keeping a good listen out, and look out, for Penfield traffic (121.6 - same as Riddell's).

HTH,

Cheers, Neil

Thanks Neil I'll check out the route you suggest and keep planning.