Replace engine in CTSW for ROTAX 915 iS TURBO

Fabian007

You should ask Flight Design, but I would expect that going from a 100hp S to a 135 hp iS would at least require redesign of the engine mounts, cowls and fuel system, and probably strengthening of the airframe as well. Also the 915 weighs about 185 lbs and the 912 weighs only about 125 lbs, which will have a major effect on weight and balance, and reduce useful load capacity. The extra power would also make it much easier to exceed Vne. There is also the question of who could carry out such a modification legally. In summary, it is probably possible, but would be difficult unless you have the resources and expertise of the Flight Design factory engineers.

rgmwa

thanks for your response, help me so much. what you think about replece the engine with the 912 iS, is more the same engine?

It also depends on your local regulations. I note that you are in Spain and I'm guessing that you come under European weight restrictions. So adding extra weight with a different engine may reduce your payload (fuel, baggage and passengers).

Here in Australia, if the aircraft is registered as a factory built aircraft it would probably entail a lot of paperwork to change the engine type, if it was even possible.

thanks for your response, help me so much. what you think about replece the engine with the 912 iS, is more the same engine?

Vans Aircraft recently did that for the RV-12. Even though the 912iS seems quite similar to the 912 ULS, it still required significant firewall forward design changes, a redesigned fuel system, and a lightweight battery to compensate for the additional engine weight. Why do you want to install a bigger/different engine in the CTSW? They seem to fly very well with the 912S.

rgmwa

• Agree 2