Garmin GPSMAP 296 repairs

Hi folks

Does any one know of a repairer who will repair a Garmin 296?

My unit intermittently throws up a lost aviation data message and then I lose all my Jeppesen data.

Talked to a fellow from Garmin and said the internal memory sounds like it is faulty.

So does anyone know of a tech who could repair the memory since Garmin no longer service the 296, which by the way I think really stinks.

I run Shonkmaps on my 296 and they are stored on the memory stick with my personal waypoints, would be nice if there was a way one could store the Jeppesen aviation data on the memory stick too.

109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.giftaz.gif.c750d78125a77f219b0619b1f23e3e90.gif

Dont know if the 296 internal battery is the same system as my GPS3 / GPS3 pilot models but these exhibit same symptoms

they have a small lithium battery for memory of setup and user waypoints

The GPS3 had a standard Li batt, the GPS3pilot used a rechargeable type= hard to get

I tried replacing with normal Li batts but they didnt last more than a few months

I put a 5Volt supercapacitor in there instead of the rechargeable and added about 10k ohms resistor from + across to the battery supply so it keeps a top up. Its only to keep the setup alive when changing batteries, but its a lot of work to put the waypoints back in (by hand) so this fix seems to work, as long as the normal AA cells are present and correct.

I recently got mine repaired is RUSSIA, yes Russia. They advertise on eBay - flat rate US$95.00 - I pulled the circuit out of mine, and posted it off in a padded bag. Took about three weeks all up. They communicated with me along he way, and when asked they gave me a fault report - the $95 includes return postage. Richard.

Dont know if the 296 internal battery is the same system as my GPS3 / GPS3 pilot models but these exhibit same symptomsthey have a small lithium battery for memory of setup and user waypoints

The GPS3 had a standard Li batt, the GPS3pilot used a rechargeable type= hard to get

I tried replacing with normal Li batts but they didnt last more than a few months

I put a 5Volt supercapacitor in there instead of the rechargeable and added about 10k ohms resistor from + across to the battery supply so it keeps a top up. Its only to keep the setup alive when changing batteries, but its a lot of work to put the waypoints back in (by hand) so this fix seems to work, as long as the normal AA cells are present and correct.