Lapsed PPL...

Guest Hippo

Hi Hippo,

Welcome.

Kwanza (Cuanza?), does that put you on the southern outskirts of Luanda? Or further down towards Benguela?

I spent 17 years in Zim before it was Zim and a little time in SA.

I think the west coast would be fascinating flying country with a good bush plane.

Tell us more ...

Hi Hippo,Welcome.

Kwanza (Cuanza?), does that put you on the southern outskirts of Luanda? Or further down towards Benguela?

I spent 17 years in Zim before it was Zim and a little time in SA.

I think the west coast would be fascinating flying country with a good bush plane.

Tell us more ...

From the centre of Luanda I am at km 73. If you google earth luanda, track south along the coast to the river Kwanza and see the bridge, that's where I am. I personally have not had my hands on the controls of anything here but I have done an awful lot of travelling in light aircraft around the country. But most exciting was during the war riding in 727's that came in over the airstrips very high, did a wing over and then a very tight spiral down to a very short final in order to avoid the anti-aircraft missile fire.

The owner of the Mangais Golf Resort (I live a km from that) is talking about putting a grass strip in which, presumably, means he thinks private flying might, er, take off here which resparked my interest in perhaps getting a STOL kit. The question of an affordable engine that would run on the fuel we have here brought me to the thread on this site about the 120/200 hp turbo prop engine of Mr Vulcan.