Bing Carb

ianrat

I have purchased an engine that has a Bing CV carbie.

Has any one had any dealings with these carbies.

I have heard both good and bad reports about these types of carbies. any comments appreciated. :;)5:

Thank you

Ianrat

Tuning CV carbs.

Ianrat, you will be a bit on your own, as to tuning it correctly, because the mass airflow of your engine is not known. Even the prop size will effect it. If the carb throat size is too small, ie. the dashpot goes to the top limit before the engine has developed full power, then it will richen up as the motor processes more air. This is acceptable to a point as it will only occurr on take off at sea level, and a bit of extra richness is desireable. ALL tuning is done by altering the taper of the needle, OR increasing the dashpot spring tension. You will need to do a fair bit of testing and measuring of EGT's to get it right. As to what do I think of the carb.? Nothing special, but what else is readily available in good condition. The inlet manifold is very long in most cases on the Corvair, making it a good idea to have a hand primer close to the heads, for starting. The carb is generally located below the engine.. Safer from a flooding and gravity feed point of view. The flat 6 has even firing in each bank, so a simple dual injector set-up might be an option. The normal Corvair long intake set-up must also be prone to icing, one would think.. Good luck Nev..

Just download the latest Jabiru SB its got enough info to get the tuning right for the Corvair and you could probably use their taper needle too. Its the carb of choice for Rotax and I've had no troubles on the 2200a - I would prefer not to rely on the rubber diapragm for the CV operation where my Keihin from Honda H1300 cars does not and the needle has the possibility of dropping down or wearing against the needle jet - but overall these items are likely to be OK for the first life of the engine. If it doesnt work out then the Aerocarb will do.

Ralph

Thanks for the in site so far. I have read on WW site that he uses the MA3spa or the Ellison throttle body. Mark Langford is running the Aero-Carb. I like the idea of the Aero-Carb very simple to fit and run.

Ianrat