any aerodromes in Townsville?

ozzietriker

Hi there folks I was wondering if there is anyone who knows whether if there is a microlight/ultralight community in Townsville QLD, any airfields where they operate from, hangar space availability? etc... any information would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance

Dennis

Dennis,

I haven't personally had anything to do with them, but there is an airfield west of Townsville on the Townsville/Charters Towers Road. A website linking details to the airfield and triker school/community is http://www.auf.asn.au/schools/ftf708.html

Others will be able to provide more details.

Regards, Mathew

Blue Water - North of Townsville

There is an landing strip just North of Townsville at Blue Water, but I have no knowledge of whether it is operational.

When flying around Townsville under ATC level via the Pinnacles, I have over flown Blue Water airfield just North of Townsville on many occassions. From the air it seems a very serviceable strip and there is an aircraft parked off to one side by the hangers. However, there is no entry in the ERSA nor the country airstrip guide. Does any body know any details about this airfield, who owns it, is it serviceable. I know that in the past it had a flight training facility based there.

Alan

Guest pelorus32

My brother's from up that way. He says try ringing the Rolling Stone Hotel - that's the closest pub. Ask them who owns the property with the Blue Water Airstrip on it.

Regards

Mike

Hi , there are two strips out at Woodstock, Donnington Airpark, and Starke Field on Jones Rd. Let me know if you require any further details

Hi Neal

Hi Neal thanks very much for that info, I am in Newcastle atm and possibly moving up to Townsville soon. Do you know if there are any hangars at that location and if so, who to contact to find out if there is any space available to hangar a microlight.

thanks in advance!

Montpellier Microlights

Send a pm to Perry on the forum, he lives on Magnetic Island but flys from Montpellier Microlights.

I am sure they will help you out as I know they have been building new hangars.

Zulu1

• 2 years later...
Guest Trevor Moss

Trevor

Hi there folks I was wondering if there is anyone who knows whether if there is a microlight/ultralight community in Townsville QLD, any airfields where they operate from, hangar space availability? etc... any information would be really appreciated.thanks in advance

Dennis

Dennis

A few of us are currently re openig the airstrip at bluewater, resealing the

runway and buildig hangers ect. We will be looking for as many people with

aircraft as possible in the near future.

Regards

Trevor

Guest Trevor Moss

Trevor

There is an landing strip just North of Townsville at Blue Water, but I have no knowledge of whether it is operational.When flying around Townsville under ATC level via the Pinnacles, I have over flown Blue Water airfield just North of Townsville on many occassions. From the air it seems a very serviceable strip and there is an aircraft parked off to one side by the hangers. However, there is no entry in the ERSA nor the country airstrip guide. Does any body know any details about this airfield, who owns it, is it serviceable. I know that in the past it had a flight training facility based there.

Alan

Alan

A few of us are crrently re opening the airstip at Blue Water, Resealing the runway and building hanger ect. We will be looking for as many people with aircraft as possible in the near future.

As for a quote i can not give you at this stage, but we are having a managers meeting soon on that. So please keep in touch.

Regards

Trevor

What are the co ords for this strip at blue waters. Is fuel reasonably close by

( hazards etc etc as well ).

Might come in handy for folks............the more strips about, the better

Guest Maj Millard

The Bluewater strip is a good facility and it is well placed North of Townsville and on the track to the North if you are going that way. It sits right in the middle of the Bluewater training area (D764) and is indicated with the name 'Blue water park' on the Townsville /cairns VTC. There is a recommended VFR route around Townsville C class airspace to the west, where you pass through a gap behind the 'Pinnacles range' . Once through this gap you track to the coast, and you will pass right over the Blue water strip, which is long sealed and hard to miss from the air. There is a hangar and shed mid strip, with windsocks. Strip surface is adequet and long, and any upgrade would be welcome.

This facility has gone through several hands over past years and has generally been under utilized. A well placed strip that needs to be developed and retained.

Only drawback is it's somewhat remote location, away from any facilities and vehical travel is a must to and from the strip.

Conditions are usually good for operations with generally a SE wind direction which gives you a light Xwind from the right, which is easily handled. A small hill to the West of final needs to be noted for safety, with the usual 'jumping rodent' risk to be watched on the strip itself. Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 months later...
DennisA few of us are currently re openig the airstrip at bluewater, resealing the

runway and buildig hangers ect. We will be looking for as many people with

aircraft as possible in the near future.

Regards

Trevor

Is this still happening, looking for a base for a Brumby 600.

Tony.

• 4 weeks later...