New to Ultralight.

Hi guys and gals, I am looking for some info on ultralights. I want to start flying and am somewhat confused by reading on the internet. Not sure if you have to be licenced or not. I would have a landing strip on my property so wont be dealing with airports. I also want a 2 seater and seem to have a hard time finding those as well. If there is somewhere on this forum I should be putting this I will be glad to repost.

Thanks in advance for any info. Dusty

Welcome.

You’re US based so basic rule is Single seat very light will meet the FAR. Exemption to having a licence or registration.

Two seaters were intended to assist with training BUT many people abused the privilege and there was a crackdown on them and many ended up requiiing registration and a licence.

Easiest way to work it out is to look at the US ultralight association website

USUA - The United States Ultralight Association

And keep in mind with ultralights you are light weight single seat slow and have not a lot of fuel to remain legally within the licence and registration exemption.

Okay thank you, Have not figured out all the classifications yet, Are the ones like a Quicksilver GT500 considered a ultra light?

Two seats. A too heavy. Too fast. Too much fuel. Pretty much answered that on all counts the 500 is not a US legal ultralight. They hold registration and you need a licence to fly them.

A really nice FAR part 103 legal ultralight I was considering till I decided to build from a set of plans I acquired, is a Kolb Firefly. There are others, also kits and plans such as Wings of freedom Flit plane. Aerodrome Aircraft in Missouri builds WW1 replica kits,(AWESOME!!!) also have two kits,The single seater can be built 103 Legal. I think its called Dream fantasy.Lots of good stuff out there. Start exploring and have fun! Where in the US are you? I live in Tyler Texas.

Forgot to mention, there are lots of ultralights.Not all are 103 legal.

Go to the web and sign up with the EAA experimental aircraft association.

There is most likely a chapter close to you. They will be more than helpful.

Usually have monthly meetings and seminars on different subjects pertaining

to interests airbums like us need to know. Be sure to check out fixed wing trikes,

powered parachutes, there are back pack mounted, and the ones that are like a

three wheel go cart with a parasail. Buckeye builds a nice one. Also gyroplanes.Even if these aren't what floats your boat, they are fun to see. I remember the first time I got to see a gyroplane fly (bout two years ago) Holy Cow!

Pretty Cool! Sorry for the long post, seems I'm an airplaneaholic...