Help.... Can You Identify This Aircraft???

Guest Bendorn

Guest Bendorn

Hi all,

I've just found this photo taken at the end of 1975 or early 1976. That's me at about 3 years.

This is either taken in Australia, possibly Melbourne or Noumea, New Caledonia. I think the plane may have been owned by Shell, but not 100%......

Can anyone ID the plane (make & model) and/or the airport???? Not much to go on, I know...

Ben

1372358333_Ben3yrsPlaneedit.jpg.b994f25e7eb7546a6f203f986861ae5f.jpg

Certainly looks like a C177 - nice plane to fly but the original model only had 140 hp - they were known as the "gutless strutless" !! The B model is much better with I think 180hp and CS prop.

Cessna introduced them as the next generation C172 - but obviously without too much success - C172 still being made new !!

Guest pelorus32

A Cardinal that was based at Shepp had an altercation with some power wires whilst making a forced landing about 6-8 months ago - that may be the a/c that you found registered at Shepp. The a/c came off second best but I understand that another airframe has been found and various bits are being shifted to make a single good a/c.

Regards

Mike

Guest Bendorn

Thanks for that. I'm thinking this is Essendon Airport looking south towards Moonee Ponds way. Unfortunately may father's no longer with us and my mother can't recall me even going on the trip.

The bloke behind me was the pilot. For some reason I think his name was Alan. I have no idea why. Anyways. Thanks for your help. Shame I can't see the reg.

Ben