Hole in wing

Mate just bought a genesis and had a tree branch put a six inch hole in the top of the wing , can we patch it with similar covering what sort of glue could be used.

Not Tim’s Genesis?How did that happen

I hesitate to respond to your question since there are a number of things to check. In addition I have to state that I am the Oratex representative in Australia and NZ so feel free to be sceptical.

Clearly you need to make absolutely sure that there is no structural damage and that you are only looking at a repair to the old fabric covering. It also will depend on where the hole is and where the patch edges will be. Having said that, Oratex has been and is used in repairs to other types of fabric coverings. The chaps in Alaska get a lot of stone damage and so they have had to address this problem.

You may wish to see the video clip on the North American Oratex agent's site copied below:

Using Oratex to repair Ceconite.

If you go down this path, I would urge you to first make sure that you test the bond strength of the Oratex material and it's adhesive to your particular aircraft's (unknown) covering, using a small test piece. There are simple and low cost ways of doing this to quantify the strength and so give yourself confidence, in advance of actually doing it, that the bond can be as good if not better than the existing bond of fabric to structure. I can guide you through that. The Oratex adhesive bonds really well if used correctly and ideally that requires some pressure onto the outer surface while triggering the adhesive at the correct temperature. Imagine it as pressing the adhesive into all the tiny pores in the two surfaces while at temperature in order to get best bond strength. In your case you are probably trying to bond to an unsupported surface (unless you can get a hand in there). So in your case you have to do what you can to still ensure that you can apply pressure. I recently supplied some adhesive to patch a Cub in SA and if you contact me off line I can see if the customer is happy to be contacted by you for an independent bit of advice.

I would put strength and safety before looking pretty. Oratex comes with UV and in a choice of colours but the colour match and the finish almost certainly will not be identical. Oratex do offer a paint so you can still paint over the top if required. You may want to play it safe, put a wide enough strip symmetrically on each wing in a striking colour and long enough to place any leading edge in a safe downwind position. Make a feature of it. The additional weight can be calculated in advance and since Oratex is light, the weight addition will not be much.

If you want to get hold of me to discuss this in more detail, you can reach me via the website:

Wheelers Wings - Home

Brian