Introducing my new toy

Guest rxbrumby

Guest rxbrumby

As the title suggests I have just recently bought my own plane. Now all I have to do is finish my licence(doing my test this sunday AM) and get my tailwheel endorcement. The aircraft is a GY20 minicab(0849) built by Kieth Jarvis, a true craftsman. It is powered by a continental c85 and will comfortably cruise at 90 Knts @ 16 Lph. No electrics except for a small battery for the radio so hand proping is needed, wich is quite easy but a little bit scary/exciting. Flies hands and feet off indefanantly, very good in bumpy conditions with light and very responsive controls not at all twitchy. It requires atention when taking off and landing like all tailwheel aircraft, good for learning rudder control. Floats for ever and flies so slow, needs to be sidesliped to get it to gome down. I was also very lucky to be alowed to use Keiths hanger to store it. Being that it is at the airfeild where I am learning to fly(YADG) with the great people from Adelaide Biplanes, especialy Martyn Smith who recommended the Minicab and put me in contact with Keith. I will try to put up some pictures up when I work out how to(will have to read the tutorial) I am interested to hear from other Minicab owners and any one else that owns a Keith Jarvis creation.

Cheers,

Scott

Guest David C

Scott ..

Congratulations on getting such a great little aeroplane . Quite a classic now , as is it's larger stablemate the GY80 Horizon .. I love these older types , takes me back to my youth 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif... and that was some time ago !!

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear

Congrats Scott. Nice looking aircraft. I really do hope that is not you in the office though in the first pic 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Enjoy and fly safe.

Guest rxbrumby

No that is my very impatiant Daughter wanting to go flying, and probably dreaming about being PIC. You cant get her out of the sim cockpit they have at the flying school cafe! She wants me to fly her to Queensland as I made the mistake of showing her the logbook, it has a trip from Aldinga to Bunderberg via Narromine.

Congratulations Captain Scott,

If thats the same one I saw at Narromine about 10yrs ago which was the same colour, then you are one lucky guy, because it looked that well made that i'm sure the guy must have made violins also. However, with it's C85, it sounded heaps better. Hope you have many years of enjoyable safe flying in it.

Regards

Alan

Guest rxbrumby

Yes you are correct, It was at narromine at that time. I think it also won an award. The builder has constructed or help construct aprox 15 aircraft, including 4 gliders and 3 turbulents. Its almost to nice to get dirty or worn, it even is kept with fitted covers on it while in the hanger.

Lucky Bast--rd!!

Thought that was the one.

It may not have all the "bells and whistles" compared with some of the A/C around, but that was one very nice aeroplane and I fell in love as soon as I saw it.

Take good care of it, or, i'll be chasing you with a big stick in my hand.

You don't have to tell me, I know you'd be feeling very proud of your purchase.

Well done Scott!

Anything that Keith Jarvis turns out is going to be 'perfection on wings..'

I knew Keith well in the early years of hang gliding (the '70s). I lived in Adelaide and a group of us from Flinders University taught ourselves to fly off the range behind Aldinga, and also the Aldinga Beach cliff. We met Keith after the formation of the SA Hang Gliding Association, and he was, even then, a technical adviser and mentor to many new young pilots. You might remember me to him.

Cheers,

Chris

if i remember right kieth also built the little Joey Glider that flew with a victa engine at mangalore years age??

Absolutely right. One of the early written reports of Keith and his Joey appeared in Australian Gliding magazine - in the May 1957 issue!