Tyro 95.10 Handling notes and speeds?

newairly

Also why does the gross weight vary with different engines?Phil

more power = more lift = more useful load. If flown at the higher gross it also means a higher stall speed though, up from 28knots to 32knots in this case.

why not give

Geoff Eastwood

PO Box 445, GOOLWA, S.A. 5214

PHONE [+61] [08] 8555 5325 MOBILE 0427 812 422

a ring he makes the aircraft

G'day Phil,

It is a looong time since I flew one but did do around 300 hours of bird mustering in one.

With a 447 Rotax it was a brilliant little performer, had a VNE of 75 mph, and it could do this in straight and level flight, wouldn't stall due to limited up elevator but minimum speed was about 28 mph. It would climb at around 1000'/min.

And best of all from a standing start it could beat a TT600 to 130 KPH.

Only gripe was no brakes, I tried fitting a tail skid in place of the tail wheel but wasn't really that happy with the load on the associated structure. Ended up dragging a 2' length of railway track on a rope where ever I taxied, worked brilliantly, able to idle at a smoother (higher) RPM.

Not sure what numbers your chasing in addition to the above. It is after all a very simple machine.

Handling qualities: In a word, great, true stick and rudder machine.

Only 2 things you need to know to fly this machine

1. Don't hit nuthin'.

2. Don't do nuthin' dumb.

Easy.

Regards

Mick

Mick,

Thanks for your comments. They have added to my knowledge. I had done a few calculations and also come up with a climb rate of around 1000'/min so good to have this confirmed.

The one I am getting has brakes, operated by a car handbrake lever on the left. They can be locked on, so useful for engine run up. Look the same as a Drifter. It also has a Rotax 447 and a Bolly 3 blade prop. The undercarriage suspension has been changed from the original design and now has cantilevered leaf springs. Soaks up all sorts of rough surfaces apparently, even Buffel grass paddocks. (Queensland people will know what that means. Very rough clumpy grass)

Phil

Mick, again.

If I can test your memory. Can you remember if there was a "Rough Air" max speed quoted. I am proposing to use a 250 metre grassed strip at 2500 ft elevation. Does this seem reasonable? What type of landing approach did you use. My experience is on a Drifter. How does it compare?

I want to use it for mostly local flying. Just something to get into the air with.

A very different aircraft to your Vari-eze I think.

Hi Phil,

I can't recall a maneuver speed or rough air speed ever being stated for the Tyro, however one certainly exists.

The formula for calculation is: Vs multiplied by the Square root of the limit load factor.

So, say a real stall speed of 22 kts and a limit load factor of 3.8g. Rough (gust) and maneuver speed is 43 kts IAS, a gust is based on a vertical gust of 15 m/s, that is the old FAR 23 certification criteria, the new one is 30 m/s I think.

From memory I used to use a 380m strip with no brakes with out any problems.

But like all things test yourself on a longer strip first before committing yourself to being forced to get it right on a shorter strip. I should think 250m won't pose to much drama.

As for approach, the good book used to say make every approach like a dead stick approach ie. throttle closed. I'm a lazy bugger and don't like to tax my judgment to much so I used to use a trickle of power till the start of the round out and then if all good just close the throttle and hold off for a 3 pointer or wheeler, what ever you feel like. Watch the buffel grass or any other rough surfaces it is a very lightly constructed airframe, and you can't look inside the wings/tail plane to check for working rivets. Oh and don't spill ANY fuel on the windscreen, they're Lexan (or used to be) a teaspoons worth will ruin it. And wear a helmet, I flipped mine on its back after another forced landing but this time in a ploughed paddock (no choice) which tore one wheel off and the back bar and over head bar are hard, fortunately the helmet saved me from any further retardation, just got a bit dusty.

I only did 5 hours on a drifter and found it a little challenging but then it was my first 5 hours in a Ultralight, with another 100 hours under my belt on UL's I started flying the Tyro and found it very pleasant and easy to fly. In fact I used to fly along dirt tracks for miles, around corners, up and down hills all with one wheel on the ground, that's how easy they are to fly. I can't recall any other aircraft that was so simply pleasurable to fly. Engine failures were a doddle, mostly, and had 4 or 5 in 300 hours, all below 100'. Gearbox failure, piston/cylinder seizure after overhaul, even with a factory ground run in procedure followed, gudgeon bearing failure, (pre cage-less rollers), and 2 or 3 carby ice events, it just returns to an idle till after you land and scratch your head then it's good again.

As a side thought, be careful on locking the brakes for run ups. A large thrust drag couple exists when you hold it on the brakes, wheels = drag and prop = thrust and they're a long way apart on the Tyro. If the tail lifts up you have 2 methods of catching it, 1. reduce the thrust ie. close the throttle and, 2. reduce the drag ie. release the brakes. And you want to do both like lightning so make sure you can unlock them real quick.

It appears I might have misled you on the previous response, it appears you can hit sumthin' (ground) and do dumb stuff and still survive in the Tyro, but I wouldn't recommend it to much.

Regards

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for all your comments and observations. This is the great thing about this forum, the ability to tap into experience much greater than I will ever have!

In your original post you said that you did "bird mustering" in one. What is that! Is it aerial mustering? I have a nephew who is doing that in the Territory with a 182.

Phil

• 9 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I used to fly with mates that had tyros - and I used to occasionally fly one of theirs for shits and giggles.

The quoted cruise speeds on that website are "optimistic" - you will find that a standard tyro with a 447 likes to cruise around 45 knots.

The stall speed seems about right as does the quoted climb rate.

New pilots were always putting the tyros up on its nose - for whatever reasons - and the original design seemed to have a weak spot when it came to the tyro axles - new pilots were always busting axles.

My only criticism of the tyro is that the fully flying elevator was quite sensitive - while the ailerons were " normal" so the controls were not well "harmonised" - and I never did like the stick feedback I got from the elevator - it always felt that if I let go of the stick it would whack to the forward stop. - but that could have been the particular example I was flying.

The rudder was responsive and worked well.

I personally didnt like the VW powered tyro - it just seems to be too much weight up there on the nose - but I've seen many hours clocked up on VW powered tyros. - just my own prejudices I suppose.

I did chat to Geoff Eastwood about the fully flying tail - and he said at the time he was designing the tyro - flying tails were the current fad and he just went with it - he said that " if he was doing it all again today he would probably go with a conventional tail. "

Just remember that as a low speed-low momentum aircraft you need to maintain airspeed right to the roundout which may mean lowering the nose more than you are used to.