The Trail Bike goes to the Crater of the Tweed Volcano

JG3

Another excellent travelogue John you are an inspiration sir. Can,t wait to get my 500 transporter finished and on the road, thanks for a great presentation, cheers Mick

Another excellent travelogue John you are an inspiration sir. Can,t wait to get my 500 transporter finished and on the road, thanks for a great presentation, cheers Mick

Thanks for your encouraging comments.

One caution that I did find for trailering aircraft around, is that most airfields are locked nowadays. And not always easy to find entry.

Muwillumbah was open and is an excellent airfield, but on that SA trip I was locked out of Glen Innis, Peterborough, Leigh Creek and Streaky Bay. Padlocks on the gates and no mobile number to call to get access. The phone numbers in ERSA are usually for the Council office, so not active on weekends, and even when answered, the receptionist doesn't know who to contact. Took about an hour on hold for the receptionist at Pt Augusta to hand me over to a maintenance fella who then promptly came out to let me in, then I had to call him out again to get out again..... At Leigh Creek I had to be there at 0700 when he could let me in, but then I couldn't get out again until the next morning...... Streaky Bay is 9km from town and no one out there, so didn't feel like going thro the procedure to call the office and wait for someone ......

You'd think the least they all could do would be to post a mobile number on the gate for more prompt service.... And maybe use a code padlock so they could just pass on the code instead of having to leave whatever they might be doing and come out....

But I guess they haven't considered that because so few of us are trailering and needing access that way.....

So in future need to plan ahead and make arrangements before arrival, but that takes much of the freedom out of the trip.....

• Like 1

Yes, that would be a pain for sure, and counter to the concept of not requiring or even wishing to bother or rely on anyone, but it still leaves the alternatives of underwing camping for anything other than overnight, way behind i,m sure John. Keep on trucking sir and I look forward to meeting up on the road sometime, cheers Mick