closest strip to coffs harbour

motzartmerv

The strip at Nambucca is in a lovely location but is was fairly rough cow pasture. I can imagine it being a problem for some nose wheel types.

Last time I took off from there (in the back of a trike) just as we rotated the pilot started shouting "Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t". I'm trying to figure out whats wrong - engine still running and we seem to be climbing ok. Turns out we ran through some cow sh*t on the take off roll & it splattered all over him. The moral of the story is have your visor down on take off.

Cheers

John

Guest Andys@coffs

Ive used South Grafton a few times, in lieu of a more local solution for Coffs, in the last 3 months. Its a good strip has a $5 landing fee and you can park for free overnight. (Just watch out for Skippies on landing or taxi, I thought when I last landed that one skippy was about to become roo mince, fortunately his self presevation instinct kicked in at about the time I was reaching for the mag switches)

AVGAS is not available, however there are plenty of close servos for MOGAS (Taxi ride, not walking distance with 40lts of fuel). AVGAS is available from Coffs Airport if you need that feel of salt being rubbed into the wound.

For me, after 6.5hrs in the air the last 60minutes by car back to Coffs really sucks big time. but is significantly better than the 20hrs in a car to go Adelaide to Coffs!

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

"stuarts" is "stewarts". A contact for Mr Stewart can be found throught the Coffs Aeroclub. I've twice tried that as a more local solution, however for both times Mr Stewart was travelling South and didnt want me using the strip without him being their, which of course is perfectly reasonable.

The strip is basically opposite the Emerald Beach turn off approx 10kms north of Coffs or there abouts. The only prob for us RAA types coming from the south is that the D class step at that point is only 1000ft and to get their means valley flying from Nana Glenn due terain being higher than the step level. VTC review is a necessity to prevent CTA incursions. Virgin blue regularly uses emerald / moonee as the turn point for downwind leg for 21 in their 737's (generally out to sea) but would rightly scream blue murder if you were where you shouldnt be.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Stewarts strip

Really only a one way strip ....approach from the east. Large gum trees on the north side mean very mean wind shear in a northerly wind. A slow, high drag ultralight could make it in from west.

Rob