Kit/Amateur built maintenance.

damiens

Kit/Amateur built maintenance.

Do I have this right? If I purchase a non factory built, non certified, non S-LSA (either kit or from plans) aircraft, that I did not build. All maintenance or modification on this aircraft will need to be performed by a LAME (not an L2, L3 or L4) regardless of whether it is registered "VH" experimental or with RA Aus?

So as another example, say Joe Bloggs takes advantage of the "two weeks to taxi" program from Glassair (that complies with the 51% build rule - let's just assume it does comply). Joe Bloggs flies this aircraft for a couple of years and maintains it himself, then he decides to sell it to me.

In the above scenario, would I always need a LAME to do all maintenance?

And just for the record, this question comes from reading as many CASA regs as I could find on the subject, and what a rabbit hole that was.

G’day Damiens,

Wrt- VH some basic maintenance is possible Schedule 8 -

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - SCHEDULE 8 Maintenance that may be carried out on a Class B aircraft by a person entitled to do so under subregulation 42ZC(4)

VH experimental check with SAAA - Sport Aircraft Association of Australia

RAA kit builds check with RAA - Home - RAAus

G’day Damiens,Wrt- VH some basic maintenance is possible Schedule 8 -

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - SCHEDULE 8 Maintenance that may be carried out on a Class B aircraft by a person entitled to do so under subregulation 42ZC(4)

VH experimental check with SAAA - Sport Aircraft Association of Australia

RAA kit builds check with RAA - Home - RAAus

Thanks for this, I am very familiar with sched 8. I have just read through all the appropriate bits in the RAA tech manual. It's a complicated business, but seems to have freedoms that don't exist elsewhere.

For others reading, my scenario above may work in the RAA world with a two seater, but not anything larger. I assume this may change in the future if the weight restrictions change.

Thanks again.

With regard the VH experimental maintenance.

If you built it ( and satisfied the authorized person AP - is the person who does the special C of A - that you built the majority of it ) AND have done a maintenance procedures course (MPC) then you can maintain the parts you built.

There seems to be a variation in interpretation of the rules when it comes to how much you can work on an engine that you “simply installed out of the box”.

If you didn’t build a section you can’t work on it. What constitutes “building” has a bit of latitude in interpretation depending on who you talk to.

Then more recently was added:

You can maintain an aircraft you own, if you did not built it but it is substantially the same as an aircraft you have built and for which you did or do have authority ( and all the above things like MPC etc ).

Thanks for this, I am very familiar with sched 8. I have just read through all the appropriate bits in the RAA tech manual. It's a complicated business, but seems to have freedoms that don't exist elsewhere.For others reading, my scenario above may work in the RAA world with a two seater, but not anything larger. I assume this may change in the future if the weight restrictions change.

Thanks again.

There’s been no suggestions anywhere about RAAus increasing the passenger numbers.

• Agree 1