Wasp & Hornet by Australian Aircraft Kits

Guest 1ozflyer

Guest 1ozflyer

Hi, would anybody like to share his experience with the Wasp and/or manufacturer "Australian Aircraft Kits". Any comments would be apreciated.

• 7 months later...
Guest Waspot

Hi 1 ozflyer - sorry for not getting on to this sooner - been busy working and then travelling to Taree to build one.

The Wasp is well beyond the prototype and certification stage - in fact the prototype is for sale now in the RA-Aus magazine. Mine is now registered with RA-Aus as Wasp MkII #006. It's a MkII because we have replaced the flaperons with electric flaps and ailerons, and added an electric trim.

Did it under the 51% rule, builder assist - which meant the technical aspects of installing and wiring up stuff I left to the experts.

Great little plane - more of a mini GA than an ultralight - very stable, all metal and one of the best views out of the cockpit, because of the shoulder wing placement.

I have flown Cessna, Pipers (not recently), Gazelles and Jabirus (LSA and J160), but the rugged construction, all metal, 100 hp Rotax, short field and fighter cockpit setup sold me on it.

Just have to fly it home from Taree now!

Happy to tell you more about it, but the best bet would be to go visit Ole Hartmann and get him to take you for a buzz around Taree.

Col - or Waspot for obvious reasons.

Hey Col, how about some construction photos etc. I rather favour a shoulder wing config myself although I've never flown one. I'm guessing but must be good views, particularly when in circuit.

I guess (again) that the old Lightning (avatar) was shoulder wing as well.

Does it have all the instruments and switches labeled and all the various placards in place and the registration numbers painted on it as per the regulations before it was signed off.

David

Guest Waspot

David,

Yes, it has all the necessary instuments plus a Garmin 196 (although I still need to read a map - see below re telephone), placards, rego numbers etc in place and on before the inspection, and sent photos off to RA-Aus as verification, along with the weight and balance, when getting the rego through.

If someone can tell me the simple way of attaching photos, happy to stick a selection up - be kind, I struggle with the telephone.

Doug,

Can't say it will quite match the Lightning for speed, but the forward cockpit gives an outstanding view in the circuit.

Col