sheep and emotional intelligence

Guest Carl Booth

Guest Carl Booth

Local time - approx 1500hrs Saturday 18th Jan. Strip (Place) - Merewether Coastal waters Newcastle. Weather (Conditions) - strong Nortrh eastely wind with good waves/swell. Traffic (Event) - Newcastle Yacht club's ocean Regatta, /// Sheep do not fly, but we as pilots can certainly learn from watching a "follow the leader"' almost lead to disaster. //// Spinnakers were set and full, The leading yachts, running before the swell and N.E. wind, were bearing down with 'spindrift, spinnakers, and speed' towards a large yellow buoy. situated approx 100 metres from the coastal rocks. A couple of yachts had rounded the buoy and were now tacking back on a N.E beat. Anyone who knows anything about sailing though knows that a lee shore "waiting for" a yacht in difficulty, is often a death trap. It passed through my mind that the guys who set this course today were certainly "courageous idiots". And then I noticed that the yachts rounding the buoy were getting horribly closer to the rocks, and getting into more and more difficulty dropping their spinnakers and whipping around onto a close haul, to beat away from the rocks. Hell ! I took a quick bearing on the buoy and realised with horror that it was driftihg, at a good speed towards the rocks ! But yachts were still chasing it to round it, and successive yachts, noticing that the guy in front was endeavouring to round it, followed like sheep, either oblivious to the danger, or "stoned out" in ecstacy/adrenalin studity ! It was only when the buoy, short of being washed ashore against the coastal strip south of Merewether beach, that one skipper (and crew) realised that any attempt at rounding the buoy would be a dangerous adventure with the elements and human skills. They aborted just before attempting to round it, with just 50ft between them and the "pounding" lee shore (and very little water under their keel) ! And they very nearly lost the spinnaker in a rapid dash to change course, and get away from the rocks. This buoy however had been adrift for quite some time during its rapid drift towards the shoreline. Why hadn't the race authorities cottoned on to the runaway buoy, and warned the skippers of the impeding danger ? And just how far will "sheep" go before they realise there is a real danger ? Flying into IMC conditionis is just the same. One guy tries it, gets away with it, and takes the next one with him. This is where "emotional intelligence" kicks in, and helps, providing we're aware of its function. So do not follow the leader, even if someone out there has placed a sign saying you must do it ! Staying alive has nothing to do with keeping in line.

Guest disperse

I used to run a express freight run from orange to sydney and return .... Leaving Sydney on the return run I would ussally be running with our sister truck for dubbo..

Now those of you that a familier with the FOG that sets in over the blue mountains. But with 500hp a 45ft trailer and a vary light load ......And it was EXPRESS...

The lead truck had the Uneviable job of spearing into thick fog and sometimes taking a guess at where the road went next 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif. But the lucky bloke behind just had 2 rules

1) Just follow my tail lights.

2) But if they suddenly drop ........ DON'T FOLLOW !!!

As an ex yachtie of the racing type I can understand the problem with a dragging buoy.

The starting boat and committee probably didn't know of the problem and each skipper would be concentrating on the position of the buoy and the other boats. it would be hard to spot the fact that it is drifting from the low eye level on board. When the drift was spotted it was probably way too late and just luck that nobody went aground.

It is rather like being in the circuit with a load of other aircraft, but then at least you can usually see the runway. Except at Mt Jim Crow, where a mountain sits just where you would expect to be able to look left and see the runway.

I expierienced the exact same situation in the Airlie Beach fun race about ten years ago. luckily we were second around the mark and did not get caught up with the 300 others following. great entertainment.

stuff that... im a land (and sky) lover.. i don't even like taking the tinny out in more then a 3 inch swell...hehe... but good point, wasn't it the red arrows a few years ago that pranged after following the leader in a low loop that went tooo low??

Don't know about the Red Arrows Motz, but a group you don't hear much about now days certainly did. The Red Sales, fore runners to the Telstars and the Roulettes, went down practicing a barrell roll at Dutson Downs south of Sale in the mid sixty's. Four Vampires & six pilots were lost.049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Skydivers are have also done it a few times where a team 4 way (group of 4 skydivers) all went in together because they where so rap up with the jump no one was watch there height.

that old jumpers joke

Q. What is the difference between a good 4 way team and a bad one?

A. a good team goes in "thump" and a bad one goes in "thump thump thump thump"

yep i know pretty sick.

Actually yes pretty sick.

but just after i started to jump camera i saw a vid from the USA of a top camera flyer videoing a freestyler. toward the end of it someone remarked about how long they were in freefall. there was a shot of the ground then the camera flyer was under canopy. The freestyler was concentrating on the camera and the cameraflyer was concentrating on the freestyler. neither were aware of their height. the cameraflyer was under canopy at less than 200ft and the freestyler went in. i went straight to the little store and bought a audible altimeter that can be set at various altitudes.

it screams in your ear as you go thru your preset height. good investment.

Guest Baphomet

My wife sent me on a tandem jump for a birthday present (it's what she said anyway) FANTASTIC!! if it weren't for the fact I can only support one expensive hobby, I'd take it up in a heartbeat

Too damn cold for me.

I went to Cobar in winter after jumping here and when I saw the jumpers pull off their gloves and count their fingers when they landed, I took up gliding. That is a great sport. Pity there isn't a gliding club near here.