GA912 honest views wanted

Spriteah

Hello all,

Myself and another are deparately looking to purchase a great aircraft on a small budget...

I see there is a GA912 advertised in QLD for mid thirties and looks very clean and is factory built. Can people give me their views on the aircraft. Speed, x-country, landings? (it's a tail dragger), comfort (im 6'1')

Anything else greatly appreciated? Value for money?

Jim.

• 1 month later...

I haven't flown the tailwheel but the nosewheel is a good all round strong plane. It is designed as an allrounder and the performance is just that - 80kn cruise, 4 hrs fuel STOL is good - not as good as a storch. Somewhere between a drifter and a Jab is how I would describe it. Great to fly and factory back up is available in Ballina NSW. Not much luggage space. I like them - lots of fun, good visability and reliable, easy to fly

You forgot to mention that they are a safe plane. If I had to have an accident in any plane I think I would pick a lightwing. Have a good look for corrosion, I know of one that was written off by corrosion, caused I believe by after manufacture welding of brackets.

Nice aeroplane.

• Informative 1

I have not flown the GA912 but I have a GR912S used on our cattle property.Tough little plane onrough strips-have had tailwheel problems but on awhole agood aircraft.A few things could be improved eg brakes ect but u get what upay for.As for 6'1 you should have leg room as i'm 6' and have to slide the seat forward. Regards CLAYT. PS U have not finished flying atialdragger till the key's inya pocket.

• 6 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

GA-912 Lightwing

I have quite a bit of time in theGA-55 912s LWing including a ferry Ballina-Townsville. I think Howie only built 14 or so, but they are a nice little aeroplane. Fuselage is almost identical to the GR except maybe a more streamlined eng cowl. Main difference is the wing which has something like 20 sq ft less area than the standard wing, and is more like a Saphire wing.

It has 3 position flaps, one position being up reflexed for cruise and it does work, giving an additional free 6 kts or so. (blew me away first time I used this ) The wing still just seems to climb, climb, climb just like the standard one. They are a bit faster than the GR in cruise usually seeing 90kts or so. My 912s GR does however give me an honest 80-85 or so, as comparison.( I have done a bit of tweaking ).

The flaps are easy to use, and make for more controlled landings, although because the wing is smaller you have to keep one eye on airspeed at flare, lest she drops out from under you. Dont let it drop much below 45 kts or so!. My only real complaint, and probabily why I own and fly a GR is the single wing strut. It is obviosly strong enough as I have flown in severe turb with one, however I had a big wedgey go close by one day ( at 5400 ft !!} and it made me think about one hitting the single wing strut ?. The two wing struts are bound to be stronger, and if you have the optional flaps on the standard wing, you sort of have the best of both worlds. The GA wing still has stable handling if you are manouvering down low, nice and solid. I still do like the cleaner look of the GA as it does look sexier than the large GR wing. Hope this is helpfull, get back to me if you need any more info Cheers Ross. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif PS: the lightwing generally is very well built, strong and relativly easy to maintain. A pretty well behaved taildragger, that won't really bite you unless you are asleep at the wheel. The one that had bad corrosion in the tail had been on floats at Ballina possibly in salt water.

I've always found LightWings to be good all round workhorses.

The GR range (big, two strut wings) a very forgiving and make good trainers.

The first GA models with the shorter single strut wings, would have been really good cruisers, but were underpowered with the VW engines.

I think a GA-(55)912s would be a real rocket ship, just not sure if Howie ever got around to making any?

Out of interest, with the GR's, the R stood for Rotax powered and the GA's the A stood for Aero-Power (VW)

Also, the wing on the GA was not only shorter, but had a different wing section, and was mover forward on the fuselage to balance the heavier (than a rotax two stroke) VW motor.

It's hard to describe, but the wing spar remained in the same place relative to the fuselage, while larger ribs formed the wing in a new position about 4 inches forward of the original wing position.

This put the spar more central in the wing and only one strut was required.

The rear strut on a GR model is more to stop twist than carry weight, which is why it is smaller, if you lost the front strut, you'd probably lose the wing!:ah_oh:

Arthur.

Guest Maj Millard

GA-55 with 912s engine ?

In response to Pylon 500's post. Howie did indeed make the GA version with the 912s on board as the one I flew had that engine, and it was indeed lively. Just before flying it away from the factory in Ballina after repairs, Howie took it for a short flight and came back with the response that he hadn't flown a GA in a while, and he had forgotten just what a nice little plane they were. The aircraft 25-431 named "Princess" is still in the Townsville area. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I figured a GA 912 would be a nice ship, which is probably why you don't see them advertised.

People like them too much to sell them.

C'mon Howie, more GA-912's

Arthur.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Pylon

Just had a look at the interesting range of aircraft you've flown over the years, I must do the same one day, at last count I think I had about 22 or so, and that was about ten years ago. I have about 60hrs in the Lazair, as well as lots of Storch ferry time (912s and 80hp ragwing) Was that the Jab Storch that Graham Darr owned ?. I would count the Lazair as one of the finest wings I've flown, and rate the Storch as one of the most interesting, responsive and safe wings, especially in its element. (slow speed flight). As I also own and fly a GR heliview Lightwing, I'm also resonably fond of those, and I would have to rate them also, for just good all round solid flying. I did enjoy your photos a lot. Cheers for now Ross.