Elliptical contrail in North East Vic this morning

Tim E

Travelling into Wangaratta on the bus this morning..saw a delightful elliptical contrail in the blue sky over in the East on the Syd-Mel flight path. Thought at first YMML must have been fogged in but it was only one craft and only one circuit before it tootled on its way down to the big smoke.

Last year we had 5 planes doing circuits up here when YMML fogged in..any idea why this one was the only one or what it might have been doing? :confused:

Don't think it was Santa looking for my chimney Robbo just in case thats what you were thinking! :) (wrong time of year)

Tim/all,

Fog was a factor at YMML today. Lasted roughly an hour, between 7-8am.

Visibility on RWY27 was down to 440ft at one stage, 700ft for RWY16.

3 aircraft had missed attempts on landing, as seen here starting from 7:29am with poor Virgin Blue flight 252. Flight crew were very patient, 3rd landing attempt was the charm!

If I heard correctly there were at least 6+ flights circling around various parts of Victoria waiting for landing conditions to improve.

I don't know how many flights were diverted other than QF94. Although Im not sure exactly where this flight got to before landing 2.5 hours later then expected.

Travelling into Wangaratta on the bus this morning..saw a delightful elliptical contrail in the blue sky over in the East on the Syd-Mel flight path. Thought at first YMML must have been fogged in but it was only one craft and only one circuit before it tootled on its way down to the big smoke. Last year we had 5 planes doing circuits up here when YMML fogged in..any idea why this one was the only one or what it might have been doing? :confused:

Don't think it was Santa looking for my chimney Robbo just in case thats what you were thinking! :) (wrong time of year)

Thanks ads..thats really handy info ..good to know whats going on down there. Appreciated. All those missed approaches..good skilled work going on by sounds of it that ensured all worked out well. Tim

Melbourne can be a bit Weired at Times (AT TIMES!!!) in the fact that it could be perfectly fine once minute and the nexted, fogged in. I have seen this happen twice at Borderline Speedway, Mt Gambier. Perfect crisp night, then the fog just rolled in within 2 minutes and cancelled the rest of the meeting. Do any other Airports (International and Domestic) suffer from Fog or is it mainly Melbourne International?

Yes would have been good Darren..though was on the school bus this time. Last year would have been great ... we had a beaut frosty blue sky morinng and at 9 a.m we had 5 craft doing these ellipse circuits in the blue sky up here..was truly a wondrous sight!

Guest Darren Masters
Yes would have been good Darren..though was on the school bus this time. Last year would have been great ... we had a beaut frosty blue sky morinng and at 9 a.m we had 5 craft doing these ellipse circuits in the blue sky up here..was truly a wondrous sight!

It would have been. Have not seen many contrails here in AKL but mind you the sky is always too grey to look :biggrin:

Do any other Airports (International and Domestic) suffer from Fog or is it mainly Melbourne International?

Avalon is in a rather low-lying area. I'm not sure how often this aiport suffers from Fog and if its moreso than MEL or not, however yesterday (tue.19th)AVV did have issues with fog. There was a stage where inbound Jetstar flights were being diverted to MEL and terminating.